Please sign in to post.

Nimes in late June 2020

Hi: I'm going on a lavender tour in Provence next year and thought of spending a few days in Nimes before the tour begins. Unfortunately that weekend there's a festival with four days of music which I'm not interested in. I am interested in seeing the "Roman" sites. My gut's telling me to stay away, but if may be my only time to see Nimes. I can get a hotel room for a reasonable price if I book now. Has anyone been to Nimes during a festival? There may be bullfighting that weekend as well--not for me.
Thank you.

Posted by
7260 posts

If you have a car you could stay in Uzes instead. If you don't, Nîmes is an easy day trip from Arles or Avignon by train.
But which festival is it? The big 'Feria' is in early June 2020, not late June, and it is the only one I would avoid if not interested (as it does bring large crowds).

Posted by
336 posts

Remember though that bull fights in France isn't the same as in southern Spain. They are no killing of the bulls, not allowed

Posted by
542 posts

Arles is a much more charming town. Nimes does have concerts at the arena throughout the summer.

Seeing the Roman sites in Nimes is about a half day of sightseeing.

Posted by
847 posts

I agree with Rizell. I did Nimes as a day trip (from Marseille). I'm glad I saw the Roman sites, but the town was not as interesting as most of the others in the area. Such as Arles, Uzes, etc. I really think I would be bored with 'a few days' in Nimes. Depending on where else your tour goes I'd look to spend those extra days somewhere else that you could take a train to Nimes from.

Here's the trip report I just posted. The part about Nimes is about 2/3 of the way down
https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/france/2-weeks-in-3-of-france-s-2nd-cities-lyon-dijon-marseille