Please sign in to post.

Nice to Paris train

I read the France book but am still confused. When trying to get tickets on Capitaine Train site it is showing three different combos. First is SNCF with TER and TGV train numbers (connection). Second is IDTGV (no connection) and third is OUGO train but it looks like that one goes on to Marne-la Vallee (Disneyland). So I understand OUGO is not my choice.

A. My question is there a difference between SNCF and IDTGV? I see there is first and second class choices on both. Is one the super fast train? Is it worth is?

If TGV do I want upstairs or downstairs to see better?

Thanks.
Mary

Posted by
544 posts

Hi Mary,

are you looking at the sncf site? Rick's web site suggests choosing France as your country of collection and English EUR other countries as your language: http://www.ricksteves.com/travel-tips/transportation/trains/france-rail-passes. The site also says to pay with PayPal so you don't have trouble with a US credit card.

It looks like iDTGV are all high speed trains just like TGV, but if you choose iDTGV you can select quiet car "iDZEN" or the "iDZAP" where it's ok to talk to with your travel companion(s) or make a phone call along the way. Ouigo is another way to buy, they're just non-refundable tickets.

I don't have a lot of experience with this, so if someone else wants to chime in please do since I'm going to book a train tickets for a trip in October to France soon.

Thanks,
Erik

Posted by
10344 posts

Upstairs.
2nd class is fine.
And of course advance reservations required.

Posted by
8 posts

I totally mixed the travel-tips/transportation/ thing. I'll spend some time there tomorrow. Thanks for the tip.
I'm using Kindle on ipad. Since I am new it is the worst experience. There don't seem to be page numbers only "locations" that seem to correspond to nothing in the real world. I bookmark and screen shot but it is so frustrating to try and find something I've read. I finally found the return to last page after I clicked a place at the bottom on the timeline. I have going crazy for a week trying to figure out where I was. To me, KINDLE sucks. I'm ready to but the hard copy book to take with me so I can find things again. Might be worth the weight in my backpack.
Anyway (I take a breathe) thanks so much for the link.

Posted by
10344 posts

I always take a hard copy of my main guidebook.

Posted by
9530 posts

SNCF and iDTGV tickets put you on the same train -- but iDTGV tickets can only be purchased/changed etc on-line. For example, if you need to change a ticket you bought as iDTGV, you can NOT walk up to the ticket counter in the train station and request a change, you have to do it on your computer. That's the only difference.

OuiGo trains are cheaper because they don't leave from central Paris, they leave from Marne La Vallée, which, as you noted, is the station out by Disney Paris. It's a good option for French families who live out that way, but not much help to visitors (unless they happen to be visiting Disney and want to go to Nice the next day!).

I like the upper car for the TGV if you have a choice.

First and second class are on the same train, just like on an airplane. First class is roomier and second class is less so, but still way more comfortable than any set on an airplane. usually second class is just fine.

TGV is MUCH faster than TER.