Please sign in to post.

Nice to Avignon

I plan to take the train from Nice to Avignon in mid June. Is there an advantage to booking early? Or, should I just buy the ticket when we arrive in Nice a few days before we are scheduled to leave Nice for Avignon?

Do the trains sell out?

Thanks,

Tom

Posted by
238 posts

We took train from Nice to Avignon last June following the RS South of France tour. Booked in advance to save money and to reserve seats on left side for best views along coast from Nice to Marseille where you will transfer to Avignon bound train. If you plan to overnight in Avignon, I can suggest a nice hotel we enjoyed.

Posted by
317 posts

I was about to book my ticket from Nice to Avignon using "thetrainline.com". I went to Bahn.com to see if there were any other trains available .

Sure enough, there was a train that wasn't mentioned on the trainline.com which it appears that I can book a on the international site of Bahn.com. Confusing. Does anyone have some insight? I thought thetrainline.com had the entire schedule.
Thanks.

Tom

Posted by
6920 posts

To book French trains, use SNCF Connect if possible. That way you are guaranteed to "see" all trains with no extra fees.
It might be a bit too soon to buy some regional train tickets for mid-June, which is why you might not be seeing all trains. But again, check SNCF Connect. You'll have the choice between changing trains in Marseille and changing trains in Avignon TGV, the former is usually cheaper and the latter is usually faster!

Posted by
11218 posts

Thanks,balso. I am about ready to book train tickets in France too and this is so helpful.