Please sign in to post.

Nice and the cote d'azure during may 20 - 30 2022

Hi
Planning a birthday Trip for my wife during those days (may 20 - 30, 2022). Expected to stay at Nice as a home base to explore the area.
Are any major inconviniences due to the Cannes Film Festival or Monaco car races? We are not interested in such events.

Any additional suggestions are welcome.
Thanks
JLCC

Posted by
27092 posts

I was told by the manager of my hotel in Nice that the race causes more impact than the film festival. All I really noticed was that there was a wait to use the ticket-vending machines at the Nice Ville train station in the morning. I learned to allow extra time or to buy my ticket the night before.

I never set foot in either Cannes or Monte Carlo, so things might look very different there. I went to Menton, Villefranche-sur-Mer, Cap Ferrat, Antibes, Biot, Vallauris, St-Paul-de-Vence and Vence. Edited to add: I was in Nice for about 2 weeks, so not all of my time overlapped with the race.

It might be smart to ask your hotel about the need for dinner reservations. My dinners were at very casual spots not likely to attract custom from folks attending either the race or the film festival. I mostly ate in Nice itself. I wouldn't be surprised if there's more demand for tables at the better restaurants during the time you're in the area.

Do be careful with your belongings on the regional train along the coast (which you're likely to be using for day trips). It is popular with pickpockets. If someone gets into your personal space unnecessarily, assume it is for nefarious purposes.

Posted by
32732 posts

Monaco Grand Prix 27th to 29th.

Expect massive crowds all along the coast. Certainly before and during, and for a few days after.

Posted by
6887 posts

Yes, the impact on hotel pricing and availability is absolutely major around the Monaco race days (26-29 May). A quick check on Booking shows some ludicrous hotel rates.
You might want to stay somewhere else on those days (for instance further west in Provence); 10 days in Nice would be a lot anyway.

Posted by
27092 posts

Rates in Nice seem very reasonable for that period; there are over 500 properties (nearly 150 of them hotels) with vacancies for the three-night period beginning on May 26.

However, I agree that it's worth considering splitting the time. Ten days is long enough to see quite a bit of the Riviera area plus also a good bit of Provence--but for Provence you'd need to be staying much farther west, in a place like Arles or Avignon (if without a car).