Please sign in to post.

Nice airport to Monte Carlo

Nice to Monte Carlo
What options are available to get from Nice Côte d'Azur Airport to Monte Carlo? Assuming our transportation on both ends is on time, we'll have around nine hours for the journey. Our plane is scheduled to arrive around 14:00 hr. and the ship sails from Monte Carlo at 23:00 hr. My wife and I will each have a standard size piece of luggage and a carry on (all with wheels). I've learned there is a "transfer" (I assume a bus) at a cost of €70/each, a taxi would be around €100, and I think perhaps a standard bus at around €20/each. We thought it might be enjoyable to take a train but we’re unfamiliar with the logistics of getting from the Nice Airport to the train and getting from the station in Monte Carlo to the Cruise Ship Terminal. Is the travel route for vehicles and/or the train “scenic” at all? If it is, the train would be a more relaxed way to travel so long as no logistical issues on each end. We've never visited Nice or Monte Carlo, since we have 9 hours, where should we spend some time? I would appreciate thoughts from those who know the region.

Posted by
20143 posts

It is only about 20 minutes on the train from Nice to Monaco, and a fair amount is tunnels. In fact, the Monaco station is underground in the middle of a tunnel. The 99 bus costs 6 EUR from the airport to Nice station, runs every 30 minutes and takes 15 minutes. Trains to Monaco are very frequent, like every 15 to 20 minutes and cost is 7.80 EUR. But then you are in Monaco high above the harbor and need a ride to the cruise terminal, probably by taxi, since the cruise ships look like they dock at the end of Quai Rainier III. The bus drops you at Place des Armes, still almost a mile from the ship. Maybe a taxi is not looking so bad.