Please sign in to post.

New Years in Paris

Hello! My husband and I are going to Europe for two weeks at Christmas. We'll be in Rome for the first week and then we head to Paris, where we'll be spending New Years. We're in out mid-thirties and are looking for recommendations for places to eat and celebrate that won't completely break the bank. We love live music and dancing and we enjoy good food. Does anyone know of any places that offer NYE packages? Prix Fixe menus maybe? And where should we ring in the new year? Thanks!

Posted by
1336 posts

The last time I was in Paris on NYE I was an early 20-something. We stupidly didn't get a reservation and I'm pretty sure we ate at the worst restaurant in the city (fruit cocktail for dessert miam...miam).

Do some research. I'm sure there are plenty of options that won't break the bank.
Try a brasserie near Montparnasse. I love La Rotonde .

Posted by
8059 posts

most decent restaurants have a package that evening so you do risk fruit cocktail for dessert or hideously awful central kitchen produced Chinese food if you don't book something. If you don't see something you like at the classic brasseries you could also ask your hotel for recommendations. They can also book for you.

Posted by
3161 posts

Had to laugh at Janet's post. In Paris on NYE a few years ago on a stopover between flights, I stayed in the Rue Cler neighborhood. Couldn't find a restaurant that was open or not having expensive NYE dinners that night. Found a Chinese restaurant. Mediocre food and the worst case of food poisoning ever. No fun getting the metro to CDG at 6AM - and Alitalia lost my luggage.

Posted by
8059 posts

We used to have a family tradition of Chinese food on Christmas Eve so one year when the whole family was in Paris for Christmas we went out to a place with gorgeous Chinese food for take out and got an assortment of lovely delicious looking dumplings and stir fries and such. It was the absolutely worst Chinese food ever although at least we didn't get food poisoning. The stuff sits sort of lukewarm for hours so I am not surprised that that happens. We learned this stuff is produced in central kitchens by people who are evidently terrible cooks and that supply the many take out Chinese places around the city. Looks good; is awful. Now when we have Christmas or New Year's Eve in Paris we have cassoulet or duck confit and roast boned stuffed duck or fruit stuffed pork loin on Christmas day.

Our only case of food poisoning in Paris was from a salad compossee -- in a place well outside the tourist track. We haven't been able to eat one since.

Posted by
77 posts

Yes, get reservations! Boy, did we learn this the hard way! We ended up finding a greek restaurant which was not too bad, but we went from restaurant to restaurant for hours not finding anything!