Please sign in to post.

Need advice: Grand Balcon Sud / Chamonix -- La Flegere CLOSED Summer 2019

We will be in Annecy in a couple of weeks (mid-June). We are planning a day trip to Chamonix to do some hiking. Originally, I had researched and planned to do the Grand Balcon Sud hike from the top of the Plan Praz lift to the top of the La Flegere lift, and then take the La Flegere lift down. However, I just read that the La Flegere lift will be closed this summer since they are replacing the cable car.

1. There doesn't seem to be any other way down from La Flegere except to walk, which I don't want to do with kids -- is that correct? What about leaving from Plan Plaz, going half way along the trail or more, and then retracing our footsteps to take Plan Praz back down? I'm not sure how the scenery is spread out along the trail, whether it is particularly beautiful closer to La Flegere and we would miss it? Or is this just a totally lame idea? One thought is that it might be less crowded given the closed lift.

2. Can anyone give me the basic lowdown on doing the Grand Balcon Nord hike and the best way to combine it with the Aiguille du Midi cable car? I didn't research this hike at all, thinking we would be doing the other, and time is short before we leave. Hoping to draw on the collective wisdom of the Forum. I believe you can do the hike in either direction. I think one direction is more challenging, but you are hiking toward Mt. Blanc and thus have it in your sights during the hike. The other direction is easier, but you have to keep turning around to see Mt. Blanc. I'd like to know how challenging it is, which direction is recommended, and which direction makes the most sense if we are going to also do the cable car up to Aiguille du Midi. Also, how much time should we allow for the hike and then the cable car to the Aiguille du Midi.

Thank you SO muich!

Posted by
12172 posts

The higher trails don't open until the snow has melted. June is really early to plan hikes. I went in mid September and my planned hike closed because of fresh snow. The lower hikes will most likely be open. I'd suggest stopping by the TI and ask for a recommendation, they know exactly which trails are open and closed on a given day.

My lower trail backup was the montenvers train to the Mer de Glace. It wasn't a bad backup and might be great for kids. The ice cave was anti-climactic. It was a shorter hike than I'd planned but nice in places.