Please sign in to post.

My Way France, June 2016

We have placed our deposit for the My Way France tour next June, and now on to the planning! We are not very familiar with France outside of Paris. We are fairly relaxed travelers, and we do not visit every museum or historic site just because it is there, frequently preferring to just sit with a glass of something and people-watch. We find food and drink and local customs an integral part of the travel experience.

So, to the Francophiles amongst us, please share your favorites on this itinerary. We'll figure out the guidebook sites, but if you've found something particularly notable, that a first-timer to the area might not find on their own, I'd really appreciate a nudge in that direction. Restaurant recommendations are always welcome!

Paris,
Blois (optional side trip to Château of Chenonceau and Amboise),
Lyon - we've already watched Anthony Bourdain's Lyon show and DH wants to join one of those eating/drinking clubs :),
Annecy (optional side trip to Chamonix),
Avignon,
Nice

Is anyone else considering this tour? We did My Way: BOE 14 days in 2013 and found this format to fit our style of travel. Not having to worry with transportation and lodging is worth the extra expense to us.

Thanks in advance!
Celeste

Edited to add: After reading the post on providing correct/concise info, I hope nothing here causes excessive eye-rolling. I do research a LOT and have read extensively on this site. If I am overly broad or vague in my request, I apologize!

Posted by
372 posts

keep in mind that France is hosting the European Football Championship in June 2016 - this is a HUGE soccer tournament, 2nd only to the World Cup. Host cities are Paris, Lyon, Marseille, Nice, Toulouse, Bordeaux, Lens and Lille and it will be one big party in these cities, with large fan zones - there will be no avoiding the crowds and excitement. Good you won't have to worry about transportation and lodging as it will be busy! Pick your favorite European soccer team, buy a jersey and join the fun! Vamos Espana!

Posted by
607 posts

I love that you've seen the Anthony bourdain episode on Lyon. It is one of my favorite episodes about food. I've never been to Lyon but that show has motivated me to visit.

I highly recommend Chamonix and Chenenceau. How many days do you have in the Alps?

Matt

Posted by
11507 posts

I thoroughly enjoyed visiting Loire valley, and specifically Chenounceau! So I recommend that optional trip!

I just visited Lyon for a short stay this past summer, loved it! I recommend a walk along the river , beautiful boardwalk runs along it, with a outdoor swimming pool , cafes etc. And if you are really lucky you willnhit a market day, incredible market set up just above banks ...my 19 yr old actually just filmed the array of beautiful dislpays of farm fresh produce, homemade sausages and cheeses!

We made the trek up the hill( don't its a killer and takes alot of time up)take the funnicular lol) from Vielle Lyon ( loved wandering this area) up to the church on the hill, go in!! It's so ornate its breathtaking, and I have been in many cathedrals/ basilicas..nearby do go visit the open outdoor Roman ruins!! I

As for hubby joining an eating club,, I thought Bourdain said it was by invitation,, bummer , because they do look fun!

Posted by
1097 posts

Thanks for the heads up on the Football tournament. Looks like most of the preliminary rounds will be over by the time the tour starts on June 28, and the playoff rounds don't seem to overlap where we will be. Almost as if those smart RS tour planners knew what they were doing. ;)

Yes, the eating clubs are by invitation only... but he still wishes!

The schedule says we will hit the Tuesday market day in Annecy, and we're in Lyon over the weekend of July 2-3 so hopefully we'll find one there, as well. We do love walking around markets, even if all we can do is admire the food longingly (and take lots of pictures!).

Would you recommend both of the side trips to Chenonceau and Chamonix over staying in Blois or Annecy for the day? We have a stop at Château of Chambord, so don't necessarily need château overload!

Thanks for the other suggestions!
Celeste

Posted by
11507 posts

Chenouceau is my favorite.. but then I am not a person who gets overloaded on much.. lol.. I have been to Loire Valley twice.. once for three days, once only for a daytrip, and would go again tomorrow!

Posted by
1097 posts

Ben,
We will be in Lyon July 2-3. Sounds like the music festival is over by then?
Thank you for the details. I will consider them as we make our plans.
Celeste

Posted by
796 posts

In all locations, look up the open air food markets. I am most familiar with Paris; President Wilson marche and Grenelle are my faves. In Paris walk along the Seine as much as you can, visit the Luxembourg gardens and the Rodin musee gardens. Tiny parks are everywhere. Paris is my favorite place, enjoy.

Posted by
1097 posts

Ben,
Thank you for the link. We might actually be interested in attending a concert. My husband is a musician and a highlight of our 2013 trip was hearing Vivaldi in a church in Venice. Do you know when the 2016 schedule will be published?

June,
Markets are just about our favorite thing. We went to the one at Bastille - awesome - then we walked about 100 miles (well, maybe not, but that's how it felt!) along the Seine, stopping for the occasional refreshment. I will look for the ones you mention. Thank you.

Celeste