Please sign in to post.

Museum tickets in Paris

I have booked plane tickets for my family of six to visit Paris in August. Naturally, I am anxious that we get tickets to the Louvre, Versailles, Musee D’Orsay etc. Tickets to these places went on sale recently but aren’t available for August yet. Have any of you any knowledge about how far in advance they sell the tickets? I can’t seem to find that information.

Posted by
10029 posts

One issue with the Paris Museum Pass over the past couple of years, as I understand it, is that even with the Pass, you must additionally book a timed entrance to the Louvre.. Anyone who has been more recently can correct.

You don’t have to pay twice, the Pass covers the cost of entry, but one can not simply get the Pass and waltz into the Louvre on any open day as one could for years and years.

Posted by
56 posts

Eugenio_anne, I'm having trouble even loading the "purchase tickets" page on the Versailles website! We will be visiting at the end of August 2021.

I have a couple of thoughts/questions:

• It might be better to buy tickets in advance (rather than using the "Paris Museum Pass") directly from the museum/chateau, due to Covid-related crowd restrictions. --------> CAN ANYONE CONFIRM WHETHER OR NOT THERE WILL BE CROWD RESTRICTIONS IN 2021??

• Although Rick strongly suggests purchasing the PARIS MUSEUM PASS as a better value, you still have to wait in a security line. I'm thinking time is $$, and the Versailles guided tour allows you entrance to otherwise areas not accessible to general admission.

• Since the Versailles website seems to be having booking problems, you may want to book here: https://www.tiqets.com/en/palace-of-versailles-tickets-l141873/?partner=european-traveler&tq_campaign=versailles

Diane

Posted by
27623 posts

If there's a security line, you always have to wait in it. It's only the ticket line you avoid by either buying a ticket in advance or having the museum pass (along with an entry-time reservation if one is required).

In a few cases there's a way to get yourself into a shorter/faster security line. I believe one example is purchase of the private-apartments tour at Versailles.

Posted by
1175 posts

The museum pass website, parisinfo.com, explains those under age 18 get free access to museums. We haven't been to Paris for 2 years, but we always purchased a museum pass on every trip. That made it so easy to pop into lesser known museums with no lines or just for a welcome break and a chance to sit down with a cold drink, a snack, or a bathroom visit. We usually got the three day pass but that's an individual choice. Over the years we've seen many museums that we wouldn't have otherwise but for your first trip, the famous museums might be a priority. Here's a tip to beat the crowds -- get in line an hour before opening, especially for Versailles. That worked for the d'Orsay so we could go directly to the top floor to see the famous impressionists and have it practically to ourselves. Good luck and enjoy your time in Paris. Be sure and post a trip report upon your return.

Posted by
10515 posts

I don't think anyone can tell you because it appears the museums are being cautious about selling tickets without knowing if cases are going up, down, and if there will be another shut down. As you saw, you can buy for only May or June at this time. That's probably a good idea to go slow. Even though the museums have reduced capacity, tickets are available for as soon as tomorrow.

FYI, until very recently, the epidemiologists in France were predicting a fourth wave. It's only in the past few days, with the increase in vaccination rate that they are beginning to change their predictions. That's why you are seeing such a shortened calendar.