Please sign in to post.

museum tickets

Hello,
We will be in Paris next week. This time around we will only be visiting 2 of the major museums, and therefore I feel it does not makes sense to purchase a museum pass. what is the best way to purchase tickets for individual museums and still avoid those long ticket lines ?
thanks,
Bill

Posted by
7981 posts

You need a ticket for the Orsay. IN the past we have just stopped by the Museum Office and bought our ticket (the office was a door in the wall to the left of the long line) This ticket was good for a year but not the day of purchase; we then went whenever we felt like it or a rainy day. I don't know if this is still available; we last did it a couple of years ago.

You can buy tickets to any museum at the larger FNAC stores. You could get a Louvre, Orsay, Orangerie etc ticket there on one visit and then have them for your visits. The Louvre is usually not a big deal; just use the Carrousel Mall entrance and get tickets from one of a dozen machines or half a dozen manned kiosks. The Orsay however really needs tickets ahead either on line or from a store; this allows you to enter via a different door than those who don't have tickets and the line there is usually short or non-existent.

Posted by
9462 posts

Most of the museums now have links to buy tickets online that you can print yourself -- a small handling fee is added, but it's well worth the time you will save.

Posted by
2466 posts

The Louvre and Musee d'Orsay are supposed to open either Tues or Wed of this week, but this might not be definite.
The water level is still quite high and agents need to be certain that the basement storage levels have completely dried out before they replace artwork there.
If you purchase the Museum Pass, it will become active on the first day you use it, so that might be a good option instead of buying same-day tickets or timed tickets.

Posted by
172 posts

I appreciate all the good advice. I was not aware of the online option.
Thanks