Please sign in to post.

Museum Pass and Versailles

Hi Everyone,

When doing my research for my upcoming visit to Paris, it looks like Versailles now requires timed/named tickets (same with the Louvre). However, I'm still seeing things about the Paris Museum Pass that covers Versailles. If you buy the museum pass do you need timed tickets for Versailles? Or can you just show up? I'm asking because I'm having issues with the Versailles website and it won't accept my credit card (despite my card company saying that no charges have been denied on their end) so I'm moving to plan B. Thank you for any information you may have.

Posted by
752 posts

Hi again Cary, how frustrating that none of your credit cards would work. You do need a timed reservation with the Paris Museum Pass. Use the same box office link from when you were trying to buy 2 adult and 2 free tickets for your children. Select your date and entry time. Then select 4 free Passport tickets. No payment will be required.
When you arrive at the Château follow this direction for entry:

If you qualify for free admission, book a free admission ticket with timed entry and go to entrance A in the Dufour Pavilion when you arrive at the Palace for your visit, with proof of your right to free entry and proof of identity.

Present your tickets with timed entry, your Paris Museum passes and picture ID; and your childrens ID for their under 18 admission. That should do it!

Edited to add…if you were only getting the Paris Museum Pass because your credit card wouldn’t work on the website…try downloading the official Château de Versailles app, and try to buy your adult tickets and free under 18s tickets through the app.. Just maybe it will work!

Posted by
7981 posts

I had no trouble buying Louvre tickets with an American credit card which I did in November. Perhaps try a different computer, or a different browser, or clear cookies and try again. Or a different credit card. Sometimes it is a mystery.

Posted by
32523 posts

did you warn your credit card company (companies) that you were about to make a purchase in France? It was probably bounced by the security algorithm.

Posted by
347 posts

I've tried two different categories and four different browsers and none of them have worked.

I'm going to try calling tomorrow.

I've also talked to my bank who says they have had not refusals and that they don't need to put anything into place for charges overseas currently.

Posted by
806 posts

So I'm confused.
Do you need a timed entry with PMP? YES.
Just select the regular Passport, go through the day, time, etc., and you want the PASSEPORT SANS GRANDES EAUX OU JARDINS MUSICAUX - TARIF GRATUIT
enter multiple ZEROS for the site to accept the PMP ##.

You don't need to use a c/c to book a free ticket at Versailles.

Posted by
347 posts

Update. I went the old fashioned route and called Versailles to make the reservations because when I looked into the Museum Pass, it wasn't worth the extra cost given the museums we are likely to visit within the timeframe.

I never could get the website to work regardless of the browser or credit card - including after clearing my cache. I'm not sure, but I think it has to do with something in the way the system was formatting our address in the system. But even then, my bank says they never received any payment requests that were denied, so it was something in the Versailles system that was keeping me from registering online.

Oh well, it is all taken care of now.

Posted by
752 posts

Yay! So glad it all worked out. Have a great visit to Paris and especially your day at Versailles.

Posted by
12 posts

I am also having trouble purchasing Versailles tickets online from US. I have tried a couple of different browsers and called my credit card company (they see no issues). Not sure where the issue is - any suggestions?

Posted by
12 posts

Called Versailles today and purchased tickets. They have English speaking operators - super easy. Got my tickets immediately by email. 011 33 1 30 83 78 00. Operator did not know why the issue but it happens frequently.

Posted by
1 posts

I also could not get any credit card to go through and followed the instructions others mentioned of just calling them. Yes, it means calling in the middle of the night or early morning, but the English speaking agents were fantastic, and the process was very easy over the phone.

Posted by
115 posts

where do you even get to the page in which you can buy the Pass without the musical gardens and fountain shows? I went under the free section/Paris Museum Pass/online ticket office link. I input the date I want but it only gives me an option to select the full Passport w gardens and fountains along w other options for tours and exhibits, which I don't want. And it wants to charge me. Can someone please direct me to how to get to the free Paris Passport section and the Pass without the gardens/fountains?

I was going to call but my Paris Museum Pass (PMP) is not yet in hand; will be arriving in few days. If I call will they require me to have the PMP number on me? I'm worried if I wait til Tues or Wed when it arrives we might lose our desired time slot.

Never mind. I just called last night and ordered over phone. My credit cards wouldn't work either.