Please sign in to post.

Musee d;Orsay

I am having trouble with a very silly question. I blame Covis and lack of travel. We will be in Paris the first week of June 2022 and several museums are free the first Sunday, including Orsay. Do I still need to have a timed ticket for the museum om that day? I cannot access that date in the 'buying tickets' so I am thinking that I don't need them, but I would hate to arrive and be turned away or have to stand in line to buy them. And I cannot find anything that deals with this.

I would really appreciate any help here. I am pulling my hair out!

Thanks
Judy

Posted by
2544 posts

When you make your reservation, there should be a 0 fare option. Choose that.

Posted by
37 posts

I did not see that option, but I will go look again. I think that is what i was looking for.

Thanks
Judy

Posted by
6887 posts

The FAQ of Musée d'Orsay specifically states the following:
Boking a time slot is not mandatory to access the Musée d'Orsay:
- Visitors eligible for free admission can go directly to the museum entrance with their corresponding documents, as can visitors aged under 18 with their accompanying adults.
- Entry is free for all visitors on the 1st Sunday of the month

I understand this to mean that reservations are not mandatory on free Sundays... And I will therefore suggest that you avoid going then, if your schedule allows, because of crowds! Not worth the savings.

Posted by
37 posts

Thanks for the ideas. I agree, that I possibly do not need anything. And normally we would skip free Sunday, but it might be our only chance! So I will update when I get home with whatever I find out.
Thanks again
Judy

Posted by
47 posts

Fair warning, my wife and I attempted Musee d'Orsay many years ago on the free day. The line was 2-3 hours to get in. We ate a chocolate waffle outside and aborted the mission. I'd have a plan B ready that does not involve a free museum.