Please sign in to post.

Musee d'Orsay

I want to prebook tickets to the museum ahead of time. I would also like to book a guided tour. How do I do that? I find their website confusing. It looks like to me that I can purchase entrance tickets three months ahead but not tour tickets. Can anyone help me? Thanks!

Posted by
3702 posts

You buy tour tickets on the day that you visit by going to Museum Ticket Office and you meet at the designated meeting point 15 minutes before the designated start time for your tour. You don't really book a guided tour. You check the schedule and decide when you want to go and then show up at the meetup spot on that date 15 minutes before that time. Of course, you need a tour ticket plus your admission ticket. There is really no reason to buy the admission tickets months before the date you want to go because they do not really sell out. You purchase the tour tickets at Ticket Point No. 6 of the Ticket Office.

Posted by
3 posts

Thanks. Is it not more time efficient to buy them ahead? Just wondering if there will be big line up to buy them the day of... I did think that the guided tour was not available ahead of time but wasn't sure. Thanks again.

Posted by
7865 posts

What JHK means is that you can buy your tickets online ahead of time up to days before you plan to visit and get the same convenience of not having to stand in line to buy them. Your travel plans could change 3 months in advance that is all.

Posted by
3 posts

Ok - Jazz+Travels - that makes sense. I didn't realize that's what JHK meant. I would probably purchase shortly before we leave because of course - plans can change. I do like to prebook though as I don't like wasting valuable holiday time planning and organizing tickets. I like to do all that I can before I leave home. Thanks.

Posted by
3702 posts

Yes, thank you Jazz+Travels. You are correct about what I meant. The last time I went to the museum, I bought my ticket the morning of the day of my visit. The price does not change and the benefit (access through entrance C) is available regardless of how far in advance the ticket is purchased.

Posted by
4007 posts

If I buy a ticket a few days in advance, can the ticket go to my iPhone or must I print it?

Posted by
3702 posts

I printed mine at the hotel. Actually, to be more precise, I forwarded the e-mail with the print at home tickets to my hotel and the desk person printed them for me. The options that I had were pick-up at an FNAC store (which I had heard was a pain and would have been inconvenient for me because I was staying in the 7th when I bought the ticket), print at home for an extra cost per ticket (my choice), or have the tickets mailed to me. I was not offered a choice of an e-ticket that I could download to my phone but this was last May and things could have changed.

Posted by
5609 posts

You didn't mention the Paris Museum Pass, but if you are going to other museums, it is a really good deal. The pass does allow you to cut the line at the Orsay.

Posted by
10201 posts

If you want a guided tour, you should get there early because they do sell out. You can buy your museum ticket ahead of time, which will allow you to use Door C where the line is shorter. Or, you can buy a combo ticket at the Orangerie that will get you in via Door C. You can then get to the ticket booth faster to buy the tour ticket.

Years ago, there was an advance ticket office in the building to the left of the museum entrance. I used to buy tour tickets there in advance. Does anyone know if that still exists?