Please sign in to post.

Moulin Rouge

I was thinking of splurging for my husband's birthday on March 8th and taking in a show and dinner at the Moulin Rouge. We will be in Paris from the 5th through the 17th of March and it is our first time there together. They have three different shows starting in the low $200's to the high $200's that include the show, dinner and a little champagne. Can someone suggest which show to go to at the Moulin Rouge? I know it is a "tourist trap," but would like to at least see it once. Additionally, I think I have heard there may be less expensive cabaret shows and any feedback about those is equally welcomed. Thank you in advance.

Posted by
2466 posts

Besides the Moulin Rouge, there is the Lido, the Crazy Horse and some other burlesque shows.
I think you would benefit from seeing the official website to see what they offer:
http://www.moulinrouge.fr
You will be herded into whatever seats there are and pushed to have dinner and champagne.

The Lido is not expensive, by Moulin Rouge standards.
The Crazy Horse is "arty", with lighting effects and so on.

Posted by
2527 posts

Friends thoroughly enjoyed the show and which version is unknown. A quick search of the Internet reviews reveals significantly mixed range. Many love the show while others criticize it as “cheesy” and overpriced. If willing to shell out that much money for an evening in Paris, I’d allocate it for a wonderful meal featuring French cuisine. Please report your choice and experience.

Posted by
3122 posts

If you were to walk around the Pigalle neighborhood you'd probably find it very seedy; a huge comedown from the 1950s-60s when it was the naughty fun place to go for Parisian nightlife. But hey, if cabaret shows are your thing, and you've always wished to see the famed Moulin Rouge, that'll be your choice.

Posted by
8293 posts

C'mon ........ don't be priggish. Pigalle is a famous part of Paris. Why not see it if you have the time.

Posted by
2466 posts

Frankly, I would not spend the $200 + on the Moulin Rouge.
Instead, I would go to Wepler or Charlot, if you like oysters and shellfish.