Please sign in to post.

Mont St Michel to Amboise

My wife and I are driving from MSM to Amboise in early June 2020. We will be staying in Amboise for a few days once we get to that location. Our previous stops are in the Normandy area. We are looking for a town/city to stop in between MSM and Amboise for an overnight. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks. VT

Posted by
282 posts

Angers! 9th century castle with beautiful flower garden in the moat and medieval tapestry.

Posted by
5324 posts

It's only a 3 1/2 hr drive to Amboise. That short a drive shouldn't require an overnight stop.

Posted by
7755 posts

You already have two good replies. My own feeling is that it is a very long drive, especially with summer traffic due to both increased volume and drivers unfamiliar with the route. Where to stop depends a lot on your personal interests, but (although we did not sleep there) we liked visiting Abbaye Royale de Fontevraud, a UNSECO WHS. If you are interested in any Chateaux special events (like concerts, candle-illuminations, or Son-Et-Lumiere), you would do well to check schedules carefully before you schedule your Loire visit. They don't happen every weekend.

I haven't been to Angers, but it is much closer to "half-way." Hikers might find something interesting in the Natural Parks north and south of the Chateaux route. (Don't know, personally.)

Posted by
7002 posts

We drove from MSM to Amboise in Sept. Don't remember it being especially tedious or too long.

Posted by
2064 posts

Much overlooked Le Mans has a very lovely historic centre and if cars interests you can go to the museum near the famous racetrack. On the way to Le Mans Fougères and Vitré are both lovely places worth a visit.

Posted by
7755 posts

Adding to Wil's accurate points, note that everything you "want to see" along the way is at 15-25 minutes OFF the highway. You see brown Tourism signs on the highway, but the sights are not right beside the exit ramp. That makes a big timing difference.

We liked Vitre better than Fougeres, but we may have walked in the "wrong" direction inside Fougeres. Both were well off the highway, but Fougeres seemed farther. Didn't time either detour.

Posted by
5 posts

Thanks for your input especially during this busy tome of the year. We are going to look at our options and book something shortly. We hope everyone has a great 2020. Regards.