Please sign in to post.

Mont St Michel hotel

Any recommendations for a preferred hotel on MSM...aside from whichever one has availability 😄?

Posted by
8439 posts

Emily, no replies yet, so I'll offer this: there are only something like 32 rooms on the island in total, so I wouldn't be too picky. Dont expect too many amenities or lots of space.

Posted by
873 posts

We traveled to MSMichel in May of 2016.....the hotel there was the most difficult by far to secure. I began working almost a year in advance and they would not take my request until a certain date. We REALLY wanted to be on the island for that one night-bucket list thing-and are so glad it worked out that we could. We stayed at Hotel La Croix Blanche......and after checking in there we discovered there was a Rick Steves travel group that had booked most of the rooms.....we were one of the odd lone couples there. Maybe that is why it was so hard to get a room! Keep being very persistent and trying like I did almost every day. I know some people think its just as good to stay off the island but we loved being on it and having a wonderful window view as we watched the sun set!

Posted by
16893 posts

There are definitely more than 32 rooms available in the 9 or so hotels on the island, but just a couple of owners control most of them. Location is pretty similar, and you're probably only staying one night, so I'd choose by price or any one amenity that's particularly important to you.

Posted by
3518 posts

We stayed on the Mont as part of the RS tour of Heart of France. The hotel was nice. The rooms were spotlessly clean, had WiFi, and the breakfast buffet was overwhelmingly fantastic. Only drawback is the rooms are spread out over quite a large area in different buildings.

Auberge Saint Pierre
GRANDE RUE
Mont St. Michel, 50170
E-mail: reservation@auberge-saint-pierre.fr
Web: www.auberge-saint-pierre.fr

Posted by
41 posts

I would do what ever you can to stay on the island. It is sooooo worth the effort.

Posted by
149 posts

We stayed in the Hotel Mouton Blanc this past June. The room, which was a family room, was cramped but that was to be expected. The room was nice though and clean. The bathroom was great - very modern and pretty large and sparkling clean. WiFi was super fast, surprisingly. Breakfast was great.

The night before we went for a walk and it was nearly deserted. My daughter danced with a bunch of locals in the alley to folk music and that was pretty cool. We also enjoyed how empty it was in the morning.

However, our morning started super early as delivery and trash haulers went up and down the alley starting at 5am. It was LOUD!

That all being said, I’d stay there again. For what it’s worth, we did not have dinner on the Mont based on the reviews, almost none of which were good.

Posted by
8439 posts

Laura, thanks for correcting me on the number of rooms. I was mistaken, and not sure where that number came from.

Posted by
121 posts

Thanks everyone.. I’d better get right on it!

Posted by
1137 posts

All but one hotel (I forget which one) are run by the same company (Poulard). Many of the restaurants as well. You'll see their name everywhere.

Posted by
873 posts

PS......the food is not great on the island but you have to take into consideration that you are there enjoying the ambience......get one of their famous omelettes and do the “tourist” thing and enjoy it!

Posted by
121 posts

Thanks everyone for your input. I was able to book a room at Le Mouton Blanc. I’m excited - I’ve wanted to do this for years.

Posted by
1137 posts

I stayed there last September. I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time. If you are driving, they hotel guests get preferred parking closest to the shuttle. But you'll need to get an access code from them to open the gate ahead of time. Otherwise the only way to open the gate is via CC, and then you'll be paying top dollar for those spaces.

Posted by
482 posts

You'll love it Emily. Late afternoon, evening, night time and then the next morning are yours to enjoy Mont St Michel in a leisurely, personal way without the crush of day trippers - who don't, in my opinion, really spoil anything. The crowds are just another face of the Mont. All those people want to feel the magic too. They just won't get to do it like you will.
Tastes differ, I know, but I'd not recommend the Omelette unless a huge, runny, half-cooked egg concoction sounds good to you. Apparently plenty of people like them, but we weren't among the Omelette aficionados.

Posted by
2023 posts

I definitely agree with the comment on the Omelet place. Not only is this restaurant ridiculously expensive the omelets are awful. I had the omelet ( it possibly had a teaspoon of cheese on it ) and a very basic salad and my husband had some type of fish and salad and we each had a glass of wine and it was close to 100 euros. They never brought the bread even though we asked for it several times. There is a restaurant near Mouton Blanc that had good mussels--might have been MB restaurant.

Posted by
121 posts

Thanks again. I’ll remember to get the pass code. Loved the tip about the omelets: I was planning to get one of the famous omelets there - usually a good bet in France - but not at that price, and runny to boot!