Please sign in to post.

Mont St Michel

Is there any way to get to Mont St. Michel by train other than thru Paris? I arrive at Frankfurt airport. Due to Frances' high terrorist alert I would like to avoid Paris.

Posted by
1137 posts

Not really. But I wouldn't worry about a "high terrorist alert." Those things come and go and don't usually affect anyone. And if the threat you are referring to is for "France," you have to cross the whole country one way or the other to get to MSM from Germany, You could drive through Belgium and avoid Paris, but it would take all day. I think your worry is unfounded.

Posted by
237 posts

You could rent a car and drive 10 hours, but that seems at lot to avoid being in a train station for a stopover. But, of course it's about your level of comfort.

Years ago, we were on the train from Paris to Versailles, and a group of French military got on with their weaponry. It was sort of startling, but, then I thought, well I'm riding in the probably the safest train car in France.

Getting from Frankfurt to Mt St. Michel is quite a lengthy journey, no matter how you get there.

Posted by
133 posts

I’ve lived in France and Germany during serious threat periods. In this case your fears are perhaps real to you but reality is a little less harsh.

You either drive or take the train. But unavoidably all roads lead to Paris. We’re headed to western France and not really concerned. Good luck……

Posted by
515 posts

I stayed in Rennes which is on TGV live from Paris. Then bus to MSM. Ended up really appreciating Rennes and Dinard.