Please sign in to post.

Mont St-Michel

We will be visiting there in June. Is there an elevator to the Abbey?

Posted by
784 posts

The walk up to the Abbey isn't real hard. The main problem is the crowd of people, but you can take your time and step aside to rest as needed. I think the way up is a bit steeper than the way down and there are several areas where you go up steps. Just take your time and enjoy it.

Posted by
1 posts

There is no elevator. My traveling companion was 84 and I was 65 with a bad hip and we made it to the top. Magnificent views and well worth the climb. Stairs are broad and you do have the ability to rest off to the side and let other pass.

Posted by
44 posts

We were just there last month. No elevator. We brought our kids (5 and 2.5) and they managed okay! Have fun, it is breathtaking. I recommend going super early (we spent the night). It was so worth it because we went first thing in the morning and hardly anyone was there.

Posted by
1117 posts

There is no elevator. The only way up or down is either a relatively steep, narrow road (clogged with tourists mid-day), or the outer ramparts. Either will involve many stairs. It is fabulous up there, but I have personally seen older people and those with somewhat limited mobility struggle. I felt bad for them, as they didn't appear like they were having fun.

Posted by
67 posts

As an aside .... once you have been here check out its twin in the UK. St. Michaels Mount!

Posted by
26 posts

Thanks for your replies. I think we will be ok to walk it.
We did see St. Michaels Mount on a trip to England, but did not get to visit it.

Good travels to all!