Please sign in to post.

Mont Saint Michel

My husband and I would like to visit Mont Saint Michel and I have a few questions.
I see thete is a shuttle service to the Mont for 80 euros per person but I've also seen where you can park a car and take a free shuttle.
Is the only shuttle the 80 euro one? Or is there a place to park and take a free shuttle?
Merci!

Posted by
484 posts

Craig in NJ has it right.
You pay for the parking (15 euros) and the shuttle itself is free. The shuttles run about every 15 minutes from 7:30 AM to 1:00 AM
But I see how this could be confusing. I was surprised at how many different companies advertise Mont St Michel shuttles from wherever.

Posted by
33 posts

Hello all, this is great info. My biggest question now is, can you just walk onto the Mont? Is a ticket required to just walk around?

Posted by
7359 posts

lindaann, I think your research may be conflating the parking lot shuttle and some sort of longer distance shuttle, such as (this is made up) from a train station. MSM is not "near" a train station, but it is in a very busy commercial strip. I remember an Alligator Farm attraction billboard!

A huge infrastructure company was engaged to build massive parking lots, with computerized payment. The farthest of those lots is still within walking distance for those who power-walk a mile a day. Anyone can walk from the lot to the ticket office for the island, tides permitting. Please pay for your parking before you get into the car. Clueless individuals (usually Americans) block the auto exits while they fumble with their credit cards and try to read the instructions outside their SUV window.

If you do walk, you will pass multiple modern chain motel buildings, which are "shoreside", not "on the island". You will also pass souvenier shops and a substantial mini-supermarket. This is not an undiscovered place.

To some visitors, viewing the tides, and seeing the island with and without water is really important. I only mention that because there is a frequent misunderstanding that the island is magically far-away. The proverbial "causeway" is not that long, and there is no mystical difference between taking the shuttle or by foot. The shuttle doesn't actually go right to the ticket office door anyway. It's an articulated, all-electric bus. I think it has dual controls, so it does not make a U-turn.

This newsboard often recommends sleeping on the island, as a way to avoid (for a few hours anyway), hordes of day-trippers. I personally disagree with this advice. But that's what makes horse races. I've been to zillion medieval towns, and this one, while beautiful and iconic, is not that special to me. I'm glad I went for a few hours, midday. We had pre-made french-bread sandwiches for lunch, from 187 mock-medieval vendors on the stone-floored street.

Posted by
33 posts

Hello Tim! (Former NJ'er myself) :-) You mention the "ticket office for the island" --- is that to buy tickets for guided tours and abbey access? Reason being, on this webpage: https://www.ot-montsaintmichel.com/en/2023/01/25/mont-saint-michel-news-and-practical-information/ --- it says access to the village is free and open 24 hours a day without reservation.

Thank you in advance! I'm going in September and I can hardly wait!

Posted by
7359 posts

Sorry, I don't have a vivid memory of that detail from ten years ago. But I find your internet research to be reliable- looking and definitive.

Posted by
139 posts

Our experience a year ago was that access to the island and village streets was free. You need a ticket for the abbey at the top. You can also sign up for walking tours on the mudflats around the island at the tourist office.

Posted by
8 posts

I will be here for 4 hours in early October and was able to purchase afternoon abbey tickets today. We want to eat either omelets or crepes (or both), and I'm looking for suggestions for lunch spots on the island.