Please sign in to post.

Monoprix in Paris

Is it true that this is the best place to buy "real" Paris souvenirs? Thanks!

Posted by
1336 posts

We need a définition.

If you want souvenirs-souvenirs,.check out the top floor or the Galeries Lafayette

Posted by
762 posts

Monoprix has nice, high-end groceries, usually in the lower level. I suppose that's a "real" Paris souvenir, although you have to be careful about what food you bring home!

Posted by
330 posts

Monoprix is comparable to Target in the US. Well-priced fashionable clothing, home goods, cosmetics and accessories with a very nice food section. I can’t remember seeing typical souvenirs like tea towels, ceramic Eiffel towers or Mona Lisa key chains - they may be there. I tend to look for souvenirs in museum shops and flea markets.

Posted by
13937 posts

They do have reusable grocery bags that some folks on one of the France-oriented FB pages are going wild over.

And I agree it depends on what you mean by real souvenirs. I usually pop into a chain shop called Pylones that has inexpensive fun stuff with Paris themes.

Posted by
9571 posts

They have Paris- and France-themed stuff in the section with clothes, umbrellas, scarves, bags, etc. in fact I was just thinking last weekend when I was there that they had a bigger section of that stuff than they used to have.

And of course they have (casual) "French" (French-designed, China- or India-made) tea towels, tableware, decorating accessories, etc.

and the same for cheap marinières or t-shirts with French words on them.

And yes lots of packaged food can make nice souvenirs -- canned chestnut purée, anyone ?

Posted by
6897 posts

Not all Monoprix are created equal. Some are abysmal. I am around République and I cannot think of a good one near me. Back when I lived in the 15th, the one at rue Linois had a good selection of goods, but I am not sure it will scream "Paris".

Posted by
9571 posts

Balso makes a good point. The one where I live (at Nation) is excellent (and big), but a person could definitely find themselves disappointed in a small, poorly stocked one.

Posted by
8055 posts

What do you mean by souvenirs? I love their shopping bags with the handles encased in soft plastic tubing -- we do our grocery shopping on foot in Chicago and so being able to have these bags that are so friendly to the hands when loaded is great. We always bring a few back. They also have the little nylon bags you can tuck in a pocket and they come out in different patterns. the other thing we get there and bring back are the wash mitts. My husband likes to use French wash mitts in the shower and they are harder to find in the US -- Monoprix has good ones about two for 5 or 6 Euro.

they also have good toddler clothing.

Posted by
3695 posts

The Monoprix on Rue Saint Antoine near Rue Saint Paul is large and you could probably find items there for souvenirs, especially if you are looking for food items like chocolate bars or preserves. I have bough souvenirs there but nothing that said Paris on them, more like stuff that seemed very French that I thought was cute like, for example, a backpack for one of my young nieces or some lotion for my sister. I've also bought souvenirs from the huge pharmacy in the Westfield mall at Chatelet-les-Halles. In fact, many of my stocking stuffer gifts for 2023 for my sister, BFF, and other women in my family came from that pharmacy.

Posted by
9420 posts

I’ve been in many Monoprix and have never seen typical tourist souvenirs in any. The one near me in the 4th does not.

A good store for typical souvenirs, that are actually made in France, is
“Bring Home France” at 3 rue Birague, in the Marais (4th arrondissement). Rue Birague is off rue St Antoine and leads you into the Place des Vosges. You can go online and see what they have ahead of getting here. Or just order online and they will ship to you. Two older women own the store and speak English well.

Posted by
25 posts

Thank you all for your suggestions! I had heard about the Monoprix bags for shopping is a good gift. Always try to
"bring my own bags" even if not required and would like to encourage others to do the same! Any other ideas for shopping totes? Where would be a good place to buy a french "coffee table" book? Also any suggestions for teen boy and girl. Girl very into make-up and boy into physical fitness. Any help is appreciated. We are staying in the 6th Adroissment and cannot drag my husband all over Paris for souvenirs in our short trip. No plastic Eiffel towers please!

Posted by
114 posts

If you’re staying in the 6th, a trip to La Grande Epicerie is almost mandatory. I still have tote bags from there I bought ten years ago. They’re incredibly sturdy. I expect to use them forever.

You may find a few things there that you’d like to bring home. ~said as a great understatement~

Posted by
8055 posts

teens are so particular -- we got our granddaughter who is busily creating her own animated comic, copies of early TinTin graphic novels and then a modern one aimed at French teens so she could see the styles used. It was a hit. There are stores selling graphic novels and manga all over Paris. But obviously that is a very specific interest. (she is also attuned to things like the ethnocentrism and racism found in graphic novels created nearly 100 years ago.)

for kids the clothes in shops like d'Pam are moderately priced and different from what peers in the US will have but also not weird. There is a trend of putting English words on French kids clothes which ruins them for Americans buying for kids back home. I bought my then 5 year old grandson a puffy coat at d'Pam last year that is blue on one side and reverses to a really fun dinosaur print on the other -- he loves it, still wears it this year and is the source of envy.

Posted by
10192 posts

Makeup--Monoprix, smaller selection that won't leave you reeling, or the huge pharmacy in Les Halles shopping center JHK mentioned. I'm not a fan of Cité Pharma. Sports equipment --Décathalon.

Posted by
3695 posts

Speaking of Decathlon, I was in the one on Blvd Saint Germain in November and they were offering fabric tote bags bags with "Paris" and "2024 Olympics" on them for use as shopping bags for, I think, about 10€ more than the cost of a regular shopping bag. I bought one to carry my purchase to my apartment and after I got back to the US, I gave it to one of my nieces and she loved it. That bag could be a cute souvenir and it took up no room in my luggage.
Depending on your budget, check out https://www.empreintes-paris.com/pages/decouvrir-lieu for handmade items from French artisans. It's a great store.

Posted by
330 posts

In the 6th, for fans of the book, there’s Le Petit Prince Store at 8 Rue Grégoire de Tours, 75006. Charming store with all things Little Prince.