Please sign in to post.

Money Exchange

I will be making my first trip to Paris in October. Where is the best place to exchange my dollars for euros?

Posted by
784 posts

Use your ATM/Debit card to get cash from ATMs once you are in Paris. This will give you the best exchange rate with the lowest fees, especially if your bank has no or low international transaction fees. French banks do not add a service fee. Be sure to let your bank know you will be traveling abroad. I like to have some euros on hand when I arrive just in case I have a problem finding an ATM at the airport or a problem with my card, so I order some from AAA before leaving home. These are more costly, but worth the peace of mind to me. I get at least enough for the taxi ride into the city and lunch.

Posted by
7049 posts

Don't physically exchange money, use an ATM to withdraw local currency instead. It's much less expensive.

Posted by
11 posts

Absolutely, use an ATM for your cash needs.
If you would like to use a credit card for restaurants or large purchase, get a Rogers Master Card or another equivalent travel credit card that gives you 3% return on all purchases in euros while in Europe.

Posted by
12172 posts

Best deal is to just bring your debit card and pull cash from an ATM.

Bank ATM's in Europe don't charge any fee to give cash. Your bank will likely charge you so check your bank's charge for foreign ATM's. I've found small banks and credit unions often charge very reasonable fees (one percent of the transaction) while big banks charge much higher fees ($5 plus three percent). If your bank overcharges, it might be worth starting another account just for travel money. Some brokers/banks give free foreign ATM's but check to make sure the requirements work for you. B of A likes to say they have several thousand free ATM's in Europe - but you probably don't want to go way out of your way for the one machine (out of 10,000) that won't charge you a fat fee.

Exchange is always more expensive than just getting cash from a machine. Watch out for "Euronet" machines. They are really automatic exchange booths designed to look like ATM's. You will be charged the same as an exchange if you use them. Stick with ATM's that have a bank in the name.

https://www.madeiraislandnews.com/2018/07/cash-machine-warning.html

Posted by
4833 posts

There isn't anything wrong with waiting to get euros upon arrival as has been suggested. We, however, prefer to arrive with at least a hundred or two euro in hand. It is so convenient to not have to mess with getting it first thing upon arrival while jet lagged and on unfamiliar ground. That alone makes it worth a little added cost incurred in getting euros from the local bank before the trip. And the added cost is really miniscule compared to the overall cost of the entire trip. Just something to consider.