Please sign in to post.

Monet's gardens

My granddaughter and I will be in Paris from and including March 11th to March 20th. I know that the Monet house is closed until April 1st but am wondering if the gardens are open when we are in Paris. Does anyone know or could I be directed to a website that I can obtain this info. Thanks
Carol in Canada

Posted by
4025 posts

If you search for Monet and Giverny you will confirm that Monet's estate, including the gardens, are not open until April 1. His carefully designed flower vistas are the heart of the operation; the house is nice, but secondary to his vision. http://giverny.org/gardens/fcm/visitgb.htm

Posted by
7981 posts

the reason it is closed in winter is the gardens not the house -- they strive for the gardens to be in bloom and gorgeous. that isn't happening in winter. the gardens are not beautiful in the way that Versailles or VAux le Vicomte are i.e. they are not architecturally interesting. they are interesting for their floral displays not their structure.

Posted by
4 posts

Carol, I don't know if your interest in Giverny is because you're a gardener, or a fan of Monet, or both. In any case, the Musee Marmottan in the 16th arr. is well worth a visit. It houses many works by Monet, as well as much of his personal collection, including works by Gauguin, Morisot, Corot, and Renoir. Because it's off the beaten path, it's usually not crowded; and the walk from the Metro through this well-heeled area of Paris has its own appeal.