Please sign in to post.

Monet Gardens

I would appreciate suggestions on taking a trip from Paris to Monet's gardens. Any hints? Private tour?

Posted by
283 posts

Two summers ago we used Paris City Vision. Although we are usually very independent travelers, we do take tours in cases like this just for the ease of transportation. We did a half day tour. I think we left around 8 in the morning and we returned to Paris around 1:00-2:00ish. You meet at their office close to the Louvre (it was easy to find but we still looked the day before so we knew where we were going in the morning), where you board the bus and are dropped off at the end. The double-decker bus was very clean. We enjoyed the ride from our front-row seats on the top! We did not purchase the guided garden tour part of their service--only the transportation and entry tickets. I wanted the time to wander around on my own schedule and not have someone lead me around. It is not a large area and is totally do-able on your own. I felt they provided just enough time at the gardens and to pick up a bite to eat (purchased on our own). I am a gardener so I could have stayed much, much longer. But with my husband along, it was just the right length. Overall we were very happy with their service.

Posted by
169 posts

You do not say whether you would prefer to drive (if you have a car), take the train, or take a guided tour. That would help. Peter Dodd

Posted by
8075 posts

This one is so easy to do on your own and a guide offers no advantage once there, I would rethink needing a tour. You take a train to Vernon from St. Lazare and the train is met by a shuttle bus to the estate (or you could walk or bike); the times of departure are linked to Vernon/Paris train schedules and are posted at the drop point at Giverny so you can plan your options for return.

Posted by
4656 posts

I second the guidance to do this one yourself. When we arrived by train, there was the shuttle bus as hoped. Doing it on your own also allows you to spend as much time as you want in the gardens. We wandered and wandered and wandered.....

Posted by
10244 posts

You don't say when your trip is. Be aware that the gardens are not open year round. I've gone twice on my own. You take the train from Gare St. Lazare to Vernon. The bus will be waiting outside the train station to take you to the gardens. It's very easy to manage.

Posted by
85 posts

I found it very easy to make the trip from Gare St. Lazare to Vernon by train and then the bus to Giverny. Just follow the crowds. Check online for opening time and arrive in Vernon before that. If you enter the gardens right at opening time it's very pleasant. Within 30-45 minutes the house, upper gardens, and lower pond gardens are very busy.

I really enjoyed walking around the village after visiting Monet's house. There is one long straight street, be sure to go all the way to the end and walk around the church and graveyard. There are galleries and cafes all along the main street, having lunch at one of the restaurants is very pleasant.

Catch the shuttle bus back to Vernon and the train back to St. Lazare. It makes a wonderful excursion and takes most of a day to do properly.

Posted by
347 posts

It is easy to take the train to and fro Paris on your own. Go on the early train (about 8am departure) and arrive as one of the first guests.

I saw folks on a LARGE guided tour...walking at the pace required for the tour...not at their own pace. Glad to be on my own. Went with a friend who also loves gardens. We split up and toured at our own pace. Met up in the gift shop. For us, it was the best way. We ended with lunch in a place close to the entry and had the best quiche EVER at a restaurant there while we gushed about our individual experiences. We explored the road back to the parking lot where the tram picked us up. Visited Monet's grave (and many others) at the church cemetery on the walk back along with some art galleries. You can't do that on a tour.

We were two women: early 60s, late 70s. Unless you have mobility issues, I am confident you will enyoy this more at your own speed.

Thanks for the reminder of my visit.