Please sign in to post.

Millau Viaduct

My son and I will be spending a week in Paris in August. He would like to see the Millau Viaduct in the south of France. It looks like it takes an entire day (roughly eight hours) to travel by train from Paris to Millau. So it looks like we'd have to stay overnight near Millau. Is there anything worth seeing (other than the bridge) in that neck of the woods?

Posted by
8889 posts

The Millau Viaduct is on the autoroute A75 which runs from Clermont-Ferrand to Béziers on the Mediterranean coast. Click here for a map.
As it is a road bridge, would you not be better hiring a car and driving over the bridge?

Posted by
784 posts

The bridge is spectacular, and there is a visitor center where you get good views from below. Ironically, there is no access from the city of Millau that allows you to go over the bridge - at least there wasn't the last time I was there in 2010. There is a road that goes under it. As far as other sights, there is some nice scenery around Millau, and it isn't too far to Roquefort or to the Gorge du Tarn, both of which would require more time.

Posted by
11 posts

My son also suggested a car rental. But I'm concerned about the cost. The only place I've rented a car (on that side of the Atlantic) is Ireland and it was really expensive. Can I get a rental car in France without going broke?

Posted by
32776 posts

Brian,

remember that that train is going to be going at 300 kph to 360 kph for most of the journey. Your car will be limited to 130 kph on an Autoroute if there is no rain and no traffic. If it is raining you are limited to 110 kph, and believe me when I say that there are radar controlled automated cameras all along the Autoroutes, so don't speed.

My advice is to take the train to the vicinity, then get a car locally.

Posted by
32776 posts

You don't say what country you are in, although a slight hint about your son, but to get a suggestion about rental price you can check the websites of the major companies or a consolidator like gemut.

Posted by
11 posts

Appreciate the advice! We're flying from Atlanta to Paris. Looks like Millau would be a long day-trip from Paris. But it would give us an opportunity to see some nice countryside. Might take a second day-trip to the Normandy region. I took Rick Steve's advice and checked out one of the car rental consolidators. We could get a tiny car for three days for approximately $100 . . . much cheaper than Ireland. It would be a stick-shift but that's what my son and I like to drive :-)

Posted by
32776 posts

Looks like Millau would be a long day-trip from Paris.

Brian,

There is a reason why I gave you the relative speeds of train and car.

If you try to drive to the Viaduc de Millau from Paris in your cheap $100 car, that isn't the only cost. There is the cost to your vacation time, and there are the other costs to your wallet.

To try and drive there as a day trip will take you, per via Michelin to which I always add at least 25 percent, between 6 and a half hours and 7 hours - each way. That's with no pit stops.

Each driver - you will trade off, right? - will need an IDP at $20 each.
Fuel for a compact car will cost €75 - each way = €150.
Tolls will be €44 - each way = €88.

Plus the cost for the bridge itself and anything else you do.

So, leave Paris at 7 am (any later the traffic will get you) and drive non stop, - except you can't because your little car will need filling up a couple of times - for 14 hours and spend $400..... hmmmm.

Back in Paris around 9 pm. If the traffic had no delays and there was no construction.

But, like we say here a lot - it is your vacation and enjoy it how you would like to.

Posted by
213 posts

My wife and I overnighted in Millau a few years ago as we drove from Montpellier to the Dordogne. We crossed the Viaduct ... there is access from the motorway to the town. My wife's photo blog does a great job of illustrating the bridge and our crossing. I know it sounds goofy, but we drove this route specifically so she could take pictures of the bridge.

https://graciamc.wordpress.com/2011/04/19/millau-viaduct-france/

hope you enjoy your visit.

Posted by
11 posts

Nigel is right! I woke up in the middle of the night running various scenarios through my head. None of them made Paris-Millau look like a reasonable day-trip. So the question is . . . where should we spend the night in that part of France . . . and what else can we do there that would justify a six hour drive? Someone mentioned a scenic gorge. I'll look into that today.

Posted by
10196 posts

There are twenty things listed on Trip Advisor of things to do in Millau. Among them is Montpellier-le-Vieux rock formations and a couple of very, very old villages. Having hiked in the area nearly forty years ago, I remember visiting caves and hiking through an area called Les Causses. Once you are there, you'll find things to stop and see every few kilometers. Be sure you buy the most detailed map of the area available.
BTW, before the viaduct, it could take up to three hours in a car stuck in traffic to cross through Milliau on its two-lane main street from one side of the valley to the other--infamous route

Posted by
11 posts

Based on all the feedback, my son and I will rent a car and stay overnight in Normandy. And we'll spend two nights in the Millau region before jetting back to Atlanta. Thanks for a great mini-lesson!