Please sign in to post.

Medications

This question is for people with experience traveling in France who need prescription medications.

I am bringing a number of prescription medications with me from the US to France for a 2-week vacation. If there's an emergency where I lose my medications, can I get American prescriptions from an American doctor filled in France? How does one safeguard against an emergency when one loses one's prescription medications in France? Thanks for any answers and advice you can provide.

Posted by
4833 posts

Discuss with your doctor and have all your prescriptions written for a 90 day supply. That should be more than enough to enable you take your regular amount and a back up supply. If the refill timing is such that you wont have enough for a regular and back up supply, talk to the pharmacist about a "vacation override". If you are taking many different Rx pills, this is what we do to save space & weight. Have the pharmacist print out extra labels. Put the pills in a freezer zip lock and put the extra label on it. Take the original data sheet that comes with the Rx with you to show that it is for you. We have been to many European countries and have never had a problem doing it this way. Not to say it can't happen, but we feel quite safe using this system. Some states require prescription meds be in their original containers, but that's rarely enforced and I can only remember reading about one case in the last 20 years.

Posted by
25 posts

Thanks for your response. Are you saying that if I bring a printout of my prescriptions from a pharmacy that I can get them filled in France? I would only do that, of course, if I somehow lost the medications I brought with me from the US. Thanks.

Posted by
11294 posts

"can I get American prescriptions from an American doctor filled in France?"

Not directly. They would need to be re-written by a French doctor, unless they are sold in France without a prescription. Which drugs need prescriptions, and which are available over the counter without a prescription, varies by country; it is not uniform across Europe.

The number one thing to make sure you don't lose your prescriptions is never to put them in checked luggage. Make sure you have them in carry-ons. If there's a possibility that you may have to check your carry-ons at some point (say, if one of your flights is on a very small plane, which just happened to me on the Madrid to Biarritz flight), have a separate bag that you can pull out with your meds.

Next, set up a system to make sure you don't leave a hotel or other accommodation without them. Set a reminder in your phone, or put the meds inside your shoes, or only take out what you need for that particular stay and leave the rest packed in your suitcase - there's lots of ways, but make sure you implement one, and use the same method at every stop so you don't forget or get it mixed up.

Depending on the severity of your medical condition, you may want to research English-speaking doctors in places you will be going.

Posted by
368 posts

Have your doctor write a prescription for each medication with the generic name and dosage. Sometimes medications are not called the same in Europe or are not the same dosage. Also if you use any OTC meds consider taking a supply with you as well.

The thing I can tell you is if you need a daily med take a few more than what you need for the length of the trip. I have dropped pills down the sink once or twice and since I had more than I needed it was not a problem.

Also carry them on with you. Do not check them in you luggage.

Posted by
8055 posts

for prescriptions not likely to be abused e.g. my husband forgot his statins, you can sometimes get the pharmacist to provide a temporary supply. If this is not possible with the medications you have, the pharmacists can refer you to a doctor. A doctor's visit only costs 24 Euro. Of course, you should bring what you need. We travel for as long as 3 months and always just bring all of our prescription meds plus an extra week's worth just in case.

pharmacists in France have a lot more authority than in the US and can dispense some prescription drugs in a pinch like this.

Posted by
9570 posts

Pharmacies in France can't fill prescriptions from American doctors, since American doctors aren't licensed to practice medicine in France.

Posted by
776 posts

I have had, to date, no trouble having American prescriptions filled in Paris pharmacies. However, these prescriptions have not been for "serious" drugs or any of the pain killer varieties.

Posted by
10190 posts

Two residents of Paris have had opposite experiences. Could you elaborate, Kim and 75020. I've never tried but assumed American prescriptions couldn't be filled for the reason Kim stated, but Janet has had help in emergencies, it seems.

Posted by
776 posts

I wonder if this depends on the drug or medication prescribed. I've taken prescriptions that I didn't have time to fill in the US to Paris and had them filled in Paris. Maybe because I live there half the year and am a regular customer at the pharmacy? Maybe because these are prescriptions for drugs not regarded as dangerous, lethal or susceptible to abuse or over dosage? Among others, I've had prescriptions for statins, skin salves, and blood pressure filled. None of my prescriptions have involved mood altering substances or pain killers. Also, my US Dr. was sure I could get the prescriptions filled in Paris. Maybe OP ought to check with her Dr.

Posted by
8055 posts

For only two weeks, this really shouldn't come up. How would one lose their meds? You carry them with you in transit and you stow them carefully where you lodge.

Posted by
27112 posts

Even when I'm traveling between stops via train or bus, my prescription meds come out of my suitcase and go in the tote bag I always stash at my feet. They'd go in my purse, but they won't fit there till the latter part of the trip. On the flight to Europe the large Zip-Lock bag of vitamins and sipplements also travels in my tote bag.

Posted by
269 posts

Based on my experience after I moved to France several years ago, a French doctor reviewed my prescriptions from my American doctor and wrote une ordannance for the French equivalents. Doctor's visits typically cost 24€. I suspect you'll find medication costs in France to be less than in the U.S.

So, if you happen to lose your medications or have them stolen along with the bag they're in, a pharmacist should be able to refer you to a doctor nearby and you'll most likely be cared for without much trouble. I would scan and email your prescription to yourself so you can pull it up on a computer and print it (for example, at your hotel) should you need to.

Just to prepare you -- French doctor visits are quite different from their American counterparts. Many French doctors have small practices in an office with no receptionist. It was startling, at the end of my first visit, to watch the doctor open the cash drawer in her desk and make change for the 20 and 10 euro notes I handed her. Something one probably would never see in the U.S.

Posted by
18 posts

I have this same concern since this is my first time traveling overseas and I take several prescriptions everyday. Since the same prescriptions are not available in Europe that are available in the U.S. I was unsure of what to do if something happened to them.

I get my prescriptions filled via mail in quantities and decided to give them a call and request to speak with a pharmacist. I did and although she confirmed that she was never overseas, she did say something that made sense to me.Basically it was to take the list of prescriptions that i take and what they're called and make sure to get the name of the "main active ingredient" that the prescription is made up of.
This way that at least the pharmacists out there may not be familiar with the medication prescribed by the U.S. doctor, chances are they will be able to see the main ingredient and see if there is an equivalent product to get you by until you get back home.

i thought it was sound advice and will be making my list to take with me.

Have a good trip!

Posted by
2466 posts

Some pharmacists will fill US prescriptions, some will not.
Most will refer you to a French doctor, if you need a prescription.
If you have to go to a French doctor or hospital, you might need to wait a long time to get an appointment.
Many medications do not have the same dosage or "matrix", which might affect how you feel when taking them.

If you are careful with your medications, it's probable that nobody will want to steal them from you. Just keep them safe, as you would any valuables.
I'd advise bringing more than you need, but not an excessive amount, which might raise eyebrows in the airport.

Posted by
4833 posts

Sara, with regard to your question "Are you saying that if I bring a printout of my prescriptions from a pharmacy that I can get them filled in France?" the answer, as a general rule, is no. The reason to bring the data sheet is that it usually shows a picture of the medicine and gives a description of the medicine. Helpful if ever questioned about what's really in the baggie. Hope this clarifies this for you.