Please sign in to post.

May or September 2016 trip?

My wife and I are planning a trip to France for 2016. Our schedules are flexible enough that we can travel at off seasons of the year and usually enjoy doing so in order to miss the large crowds and hot weather. We are thinking about traveling in the spring of fall of 2016. If anyone has visited France in spring or fall, could you please comment as to what your experience was like in April/May or September/October? We are thinking of flying into Paris and spend a few days and then take the train to Avignon and rent a car to explore Arles, Nimes and the area in northern Provence. I appreciate your insight.

Posted by
3603 posts

Either time is great in Provence, but spring would be my first choice. We were there in mid-to late May last year. Fruit trees in bloom; wild flowers covering the hillsides; cherries and melons coming into the roadside stands. Heavenly!

Posted by
784 posts

I've been to France in both April and Sept/Oct. Of course, the weather is going to do whatever it is going to do whatever the time of year. But, here is my experience.

I was in Paris for two weeks in Sept 2013 and it rained or was cloudy about 9 days put of 14. But, being from Seattle, I didn't let it dampen my enjoyment and when it was sunny, it was warm and glorious.

I was in Provence in Sept/Oct 2010 and the weather was great, though by the time we got to the end of our trip in the Dordogne and Normandy, it was getting cool. The lavender will be gone by then, but the grapes will be in harvest and the markets will be filled with local fruits and vegetables.

The thing about September/October is the days are getting shorter, which can cut into the amount of time you have for sightseeing.

I was in Languedoc and Provence in April 2005 and when we arrived in early April, it was cold and windy with no sign of spring, but a week later, it started to warm up, grape vines leafed out, and flowers started to bloom. It was glorious! And in April/May the days are getting longer.

Now I'm going back to Paris this May and I'm hoping for sunshine and flowers, but will be prepared for spring showers.

I consider the weather the one variable of travel I have no control over. Whichever time of year you choose, you'll have a wonderful time.

Posted by
711 posts

We have been to France both in Spring and Fall. We really prefer the Fall because my husband is a photographer and the colors of the vineyards and trees in many areas are spectacular . Burgundy in particular is wonderful in the Fall . We usually go in October and early November but also at times September and October. We drive and the areas around the Burgundy canal ... Chateauneuf - en- Auxois and villages along the canal are stunning. If you do go in the Fall, I would suggest driving to the south and seeing some of the villages on the way. We drive south and return to Paris through the Aveyron and back through Burgundy... Really lovely ...great areas to have a picnic or share a bottle of wine. This is also a time when there are festivals going on in small villages.

Posted by
8092 posts

September is a very busy and popular month because it has the best weather. For Paris it is also a convention month and it is the busiest month for hotels. We prefer September but it is harder to book apartments and hotels and it is high season for costs. We traveled to Paris and France for many years during May because I couldn't get off work in September; the weather then is often cold rainy and chilly -- or it can be springlike warm and wonderful, but we had more showery chilly weather than sunny pleasant winter that month.