Please sign in to post.

May/June 2019 Normandy Self-Guided Tours?

Hi Everyone, next June is the 75th anniversary of the D-Day invasion of Normandy. I would like to be there for the ceremonies since my uncle and father-in-law both hit the beach on June 6, 1944. Can anyone provide any guidance on best places to see, guided or self-guided walking tours, car tours, bus tours, etc.? I'm starting from scratch and would like to have something booked something.
There are plenty of tours online; i.e. Band of Brothers Tours, but I'm trying my best to keep cost down and they can be rather pricey, $4-6 k.
Any help or guidance will be greatly appreciated.
Tom

Posted by
1137 posts

My first advice would be to book right now. If you can. I have been there during five different D-day anniversaries—including the 70th in 2014. You will find that most accommodations are already booked. Certainly the ones close to the areas of interest. And my guess is the tour guides are already booked for this time frame as well.

That being said, the Normandy D-day areas cover a large swath of land. 45 miles as the crow flies, and you can't fly. You have to go inland from each beach to get to the N-13 road to go between them. You can certainly see lots of sights without a tour, but you need to do your homework. The more you know about the battle and the lay of the land, the more valuable your visit will be. Read books, watch movies (PM me if you want recommendations) and know what you are looking for before you see it.

Are you interested in the American sector? Then Omaha and Utah Beaches (not near each other) should be high on your list. As should the Airborne operations in and around Sainte-Mère-Église. The American cemetery inland from Omaha Beach should not be missed, but beware of ceremonies making it difficult to access during the anniversary.. Point-du-Hoc is another "must see" in my mind, and there are many museums in the area—some good, some less impressive.

The British and Canadian Beaches are more to the East, but very worth visiting. Even if you are more interested in the American activities, take the time to visit other areas if for nothing else than to grasp the enormity of the battle. One of the most contemplative places I have visited is the Canadian cemetery inland from Juno Beach (the Canadians entered WWII well ahead of the Americans). There are also some large German Cemeteries, and sights of battles that happened in the week following D-day. The battle for the Merderet Causeway was very sobering (just West of Sainte-Mère-Église), and is the site where the many military airborne units will do mass drops of paratroopers on the Sunday closest to D-day (in 2019, this major event will happen on June 9th).

Oh, and do make time to visit and appreciate the many villages around the area where the French sincerely keep alive the memory of those days, and where they truly appreciate the sacrifice of all of those who helped liberate their land. The people of Normandy are wonderful. Interacting with them is one of the major reasons I keep going back. I hope to see you in 2019. I should be jumping into Ste.-Mère with a reenactment group during the celebrations on June 9th.

Posted by
237 posts

Hi. I'm sure I'm not alone when I say I truly appreciate the service of your uncle and father-in-law. I think it is wonderful that you are going to participate in the anniversary remembrance ceremonies. Rick Steves has a great video that I think would help you make some decisions about what to see. I believe it is called "Normandy: War Torn Yet Full of Life." You can find it on YouTube.

Posted by
27104 posts

I took a one-day Overlord van tour, of which there are several with somewhat different itineraries. That company also has a two-day tour. There are other companies also offering small-group tours.

If you can find a hotel room in Caen, I think that will position you well for taking one of the tours of D-Day sites, most of which operate out of the nearby town of Bayeux. Do check the train schedule to be sure it will get you there early enough for the tour; pay attention to the day of the week. The trip itself doesn't take long.

I'm guessing that Bayeux is already booked up for this key anniversary, but it would be worth checking the quite basic Premiere Classe and Campanile on the outskirts of Bayeux to see if either has availability. Those are chains, and I don't think you need to worry about things like cleanliness. I do not recommend the restaurant in that complex. Unfortunately, the location didn't seem very convenient to other restaurants. It is walkable to the tour pick-up point in the town center if you have no mobility issues.

I don't know where anniversary ceremonies are held, so I'm not sure how easy it will be get to the appropriate locations if you don't have a rental car.