Please sign in to post.

May 8, 2014 WWII events

I have been searching for events or ceremonies honoring the American and French veterans that served in France during WWII.
If you know of some please post. thanks

Posted by
9 posts

I am so glad for your information. I am grateful for ceremonies honoring those veterans.

Posted by
32 posts

This is a great question! Hopefully someone on Rick's staff will post some good web information about the parades and events times and locations for May 8 2014, specially since I will be in Paris that week!!

Posted by
9420 posts

@Clinton...The Normandy Tourism website above won't tell you anything about Paris. Jeff's website though is very helpful for Paris... a parade on the Champs and laying of the wreath at the Arc to commemorate the day.

@Bogen... Will you be in Paris or Normandy? I feel the same way you do. My dad landed at Omaha Beach during the Invasion, was part of the liberation of Paris and fought at the Battle of the Bulge. It's all very meaningful and personal for me. Wish I could be there...

Posted by
8293 posts

The OP is looking for events honouring "American and French" veterans who served in France in WWII. Forgive me, but I just have to remind the OP that the ceremonies will also honour the British, Canadian, Australian, Polish and others who were deeply involved in the D Day Landings and fighting in France. Their cemeteries are a solemn reminder.

Posted by
9420 posts

Norma, you are absolutely right... very good point.

Posted by
2364 posts

I don't think the original poster was being disrepectful but Norma is right, there were so many young men of different nationalities and faith that are buried there, we owe them all so much.

Posted by
9 posts

My intent was a simple recognition of veterans and my focus was on those from our small city whose names are on our Memorial. Of course there are many veterans both in uniform and not military that fought for our right to stand in Memorial Parks and ceremonies to honor their sacrifice.
The wreath laying at the Arc d'Triumph on the unknown soldier is the best idea for my simple request.
Thank you for your responses and the information/ideas.

Posted by
449 posts

I don't think that there is much in the way of celebration of VE day in Paris. I was in the city on VE day in 1995. You would think that the 50th anniversary of the end of WWII would be cause for a great celebration such as the ones that took place in London and Moscow. As far as I can tell there was a flyover by jets and maybe a brief ceremony at the tomb of the unknown soldier. I read that the big anniversary for Paris is Liberation Day in August.