Please sign in to post.

May 1, 2023 in Paris and Nice - travel and closures

We currently plan to travel to Paris in late April and to fly from CDG to Nice on May 1. As that is Labor Day in France and with the current labor strikes I'm concerned about the flight and our ability to get to CDG from the 7th on the early morning hours of May 1. Separately, I wondering what will be open on May 1 and specifically about whether the Cours Saleya market will be open on that Monday morning. Thanks!

Posted by
8439 posts

Arrange a taxi with g7 a few days before your flight. I like to call the English speaking line but you can also do it on line.

the flea market you mentioned is open Monday mornings in Nice. the regular flower and food markets there are closed; Monday is the day most markets do not operate in France.

Assume everything is closed on May 1 unless you. have specific information to the contrary.

Posted by
27616 posts

I flew into Nice on May 1, 2017. There was no public transportation heading from the airport into town. The best I can tell from Google, the extended tram line to the airport doesn't run that day. There were only a very few taxis at the airport to fill the transportation gap on the day I arrived; I ended up sharing one with another tourist going in the same general direction. The driver told us he had contacted other taxi guys to encourage them to work the airport that day; if he hadn't done that, I might have had to walk!

I guess it would be best to travel with the telephone numbers of a few local taxi companies.

I walked around a good bit that day, and the streets were nearly deserted, with very few restaurants seeming to be open. However, I don't remember what time I was out and about; it might have been in the dead period between lunch and dinner. I see a post on TripAdvisor, indicating that there will definitely be restaurants open.

The Internet tells me all the museums will be closed. I'd plan a day of walking around Nice, just soaking in the architecture. If you're feeling ambitious after the overnight flight (I never am), you should find some regional trains running to places along the coast.

The Cours Saleya market has antiques on Mondays rather than food. I don't know whether it will be open, but as dead as Nice was on my arrival day, I would not be optimistic. Your hotel or apartment manager might know.

Posted by
572 posts

I emailed and confirmed that the -Villa and gardens Ephrussi de Rothschild will be open on May 1.

Posted by
27616 posts

That's a great sightseeing choice even when everything is open--as long as one is functional on arrival day.