Please sign in to post.

May 1 2023 arrival in Paris

I'm trying not to freak out, but I'm realizing we are arriving in Paris on May 1...
Our flight gets in at 9-something in the am at CDG, and we can't get into our lodging until 3-ish pm.
With the normal holiday closures plus the potential strikes, do we need to get creative about transportation (such as G7 taxi) and feeding ourselves? Should we hop on a train from CDG to someplace other than downtown Paris? If so, where might you suggest?
Otherwise, thinking we'll see if our host (in Montmartre) will hold our bags for the day and we'll try to stay out of the melee. Will we find groceries (we have a kitchen) or restaurants open nearby? Do touristy things like the Seine river boats run on May Day?

Posted by
738 posts

You're over worrying. Things will most likely be running as a normal public holiday. The trains are far more likely to be affected IF anything is other than a normal public holiday.

There won't be a mêlée anywhere near Montmartre, unless the TS hookers are on strike and protesting. (Yes, that did happen. You should have seen my mother's face!) Any action will be happening in the centre of town, not on the outskirts.

Posted by
10117 posts

You'll be fine getting into the taxi line. You don't have to reserve a G7 in advance. Montmartre is very touristic, so restaurants and brasseries will be open. You'll find an open corner market somewhere, too.

Posted by
4 posts

Merci beaucoup, Simon and Bets! I'll try to relax a bit. You have helped to put my mind at ease!