Please sign in to post.

Mass at Notre Dame

Has anyone attended the morning mass at Notre Dame? We are thinking of going but didn’t know if we should do that or a neighborhood church in the area we are staying.

Posted by
129 posts

I have attended Mass many times at Notre Dame. Did you have a specific question?

Posted by
6293 posts

My only comment about Mass at Notre Dame is to be prepared for all the tourists.

Tourists will not be allowed into the nave during Mass, but may still be obtrusive. Make it clear to the guards/ushers that you are there for Mass. Sit near the center aisle, as close to the altar as you can, and focus on the service. You'll be fine, and it is a wonderful experience.

Posted by
9420 posts

I’ve attended Mass at Notre Dame many times too. I’ve always been able to walk right into the cordoned off area for worshipers, don’t recall ever seeing an usher although I’m sure they do have them. The tourists have never been an issue all the times I’ve attended Mass there, although I’m sure there are times when some are obnoxious.

Posted by
362 posts

The morning mass I have attended have been behind the main alter in a small chapel, so depending on the day of the week and time arrive early.

Posted by
509 posts

Good advice above from Jane. We were appalled at the behavior of the non-Mass celebrants. Disregarding the ushers, they pushed and barged into the nave area, talking loudly, selfie-sticks poking in every direction. (Mass at St. Sulpice, with its famous organ, was a more civilized experience.)

Posted by
4684 posts

I second rca's recommendation of St Sulpice. Lovely building and one of the best organs in Europe.

Posted by
386 posts

We attended a Sunday Afternoon (6:30p) service at Notre Dame a few years ago.

The archbishop of Paris presides over that mass, and we found the church and surrounding area 'less busy' with tourists at that hour. And, if you time it right, you can make it over to Berthillon (Ile Saint-Louis, across the bridge) afterwards, before it closes. :)

Posted by
6293 posts

Last time I attended Mass at Notre dame, it was Ascension Thursday. There was a wonderful procession of clergy, and the music was magnificent. My non-Catholic, but respectful, DH stood back and enjoyed the proceedings, but was absolutely appalled at the behavior of many tourists. Talking, laughing, taking selfies -- all while this wonderful ceremony was taking place. Sigh.

And don't get me started on St Peter's. The last time I attended Mass there, a tourist shoved me out of the way so her friend could take a picture of her with the altar in the background. I'm still outraged. And my non-Catholic but respectful DH considered decking them. But he didn't.

Posted by
9420 posts

Matt brings up Berthillon.. definitely try it, it’s amazing. If the actual Berthillon storefront is closed you’ll find it sold at many places on Ile St Louis until late at night.

Posted by
1829 posts

Have gone twice (2 different trips) both on Sunday morning. Cannot recall exact time, somewhere around 10 am both times.
Really enjoyed it, I wasn't bothered by the tourists. They walk around the outside area for the most part during the mass so the center section is just for mass attendees.
The users seemed to do a good job in keeping the regular tourists away from the mass but being Sunday morning may have helped that as well.
When attending mass there is usually no line at all, could be hundreds in the regular line but you can just walk past the normal line when attending a mass which is nice.

Last time we went it was this July and really HOT ; plenty of smarter people than us in the church had hand fans. Was not a problem on our previous time in Sept.