Please sign in to post.

Masks

How many N95 masks do you suggest for a 15 day tour in France? Do all places require them and do I just order them on line?

Posted by
2945 posts

If the masks are washable then you can clean them daily in the sink or shower. Wearing the same mask without cleaning it each day is rather... gross. Seriously, the disposable versions are not that expensive. The CDC guidance is throw a mask away after each use. Using a mask all day with spittle flying into it? And you want to put that on again the next morning?

Posted by
8060 posts

No effective masks are washable. I'd take one per day and rotate their use. If things are really steamy you can buy more.

But when we were there in May, the moment the requirement was dropped no one hardly was wearing them even on the metro or in shops.

FWIW since the US dropped the testing requirement, every friend of ours who has gone to Europe has come back with COVID which developed a couple days after their return. This was not true when we traveled this last fall and spring where masks were worn on planes and you were tested for re-entry to the US. You can count on the plane trip back to thoroughly expose you as people are neither tested nor wearing masks.

Posted by
15018 posts

I flew back from Europe in June, after the mask requirement, and I did not come back with Covid.

How many masks you take depends on your "beliefs" about Covid. Many say you can reuse a N95 mask if you wait a few days between uses. Others will say at least 2-3/day and you should test every time you change a mask.

You can buy them over there.

Posted by
8384 posts

You mention that you are on a tour. Ask yourself, "How often would I want my tour mates to be changing their masks?" If it is daily (which would be my answer), then plan on changing yours daily too.

Whatever number you come up with, I wanted to give a reminder that you should plan for the possibility that you may need to extend your trip if you do test positive for covid. That would mean masks for those additional days (up to 10) as well as additional prescription medications if you have any of those.

I order mine online from Costco.com You might want a mix of KN95 and N95 for your tour.

Posted by
2736 posts

Timely topic. I packaged masks in baggies today. Since my nose runs constantly when wearing a mask, I'm taking one KN95 for each day, half are black and the remainder white. I'm also taking level 3 surgical masks for outdoors. These level 3 masks were recommended by my orthodontist's office. I'm taking a 5-pack of covid self-tests and a thermometer.

Posted by
147 posts

Masks are definitely not required in France anywhere. I’m in Paris right now and I’d guess less than 5% of people are wearing masks of any kind. This was true in Nice as well. My husband, daughter and I wear surgical masks in crowded indoor spaces only - museums, metro, etc - and use a fresh mask each day. We wore KN95’s on the plane. I suggest you bring enough masks for a new one every day.

Posted by
13 posts

I also advise taking additional masks to cover delayed flights or developing covid over there. Recent covid variants are far more transmissible and data reflect that.

USA made brands: Armbrust; Demetech, Indiana Mask Company and Gerson are reliable (at least 95% filtration rate) and breath-a-ble. https://www.armbrustusa.com/ carries several USA brands, including kids masks. For people who find adult masks too large, Armbrust 's kid surgical mask and kid K94 mask are 2 effective options. Plus, if you order from them, they offer discounts and sale items.

Posted by
7671 posts

We have a three week trip coming up (not to France) and plan on wearing our masks as little as possible.

Posted by
1138 posts

I spent two weeks in France in early June. I brought 2 or 3 masks just in case, and they lever left my day pack.