Please sign in to post.

Marseilles Sept 2016

We arrive @ the airport and will need to get to our hotel at Vieux Port. What's the best way? Easy, fast and not too expensive~

Posted by
11294 posts

I took the airport bus to the train station, then a taxi to my hotel. The taxi driver was not too happy because of the heavy traffic around the port area, but I didn't feel up to navigating the metro on arrival (it's not hard, but with luggage, I just wanted the door-to-door convenience of a taxi). You can certainly take the metro from the train station to the port (only two stops).

Posted by
4684 posts

If you get the coach from the airport it will arrive at Marseilles St Charles station. You can get to the Vieux Port by metro but due to the station being on top of a hill there are multiple VERY long escalators down to reach the Metro platforms. If you have heavy luggage or are unhappy with heights, I would get a taxi from the station or all the way from the airport.

Posted by
3163 posts

There's a metro stop at Vieux Port. Check the info here at Rome-to-Rio. Quick, convenient, easy, economical.

Posted by
41 posts

On a weekday late afternoon in June, how much is a reasonable rate for a taxi from the Gare St. Charles to the Vieux Port?
I have heard that the drivers try to scam you, so knowing an approximate fare would help in an argument.

Posted by
1336 posts

I took a taxi for about 24 EUR to the Hotel Beauvau. But I also heard that the bus is very good that goes to Gare St. Charles. (( I was jetlagged and just wanted to get to my hotel). From the Gare you can take the metro to the Vieux Port. Which hotel are you staying in?

Posted by
3163 posts

Carol, taxi about $12, metro $2. Reasonable either way.