Please sign in to post.

Marseille..hotels?

Hello fellow travelers! I am so grateful for this forum.
We will be taking train from Bordeaux to Marseille and are wondering how long to stay. From there thinking of going to Nice, then Avingnon, Lyon, Geneva, Strasbourg ending in Paris. We are traveling in May and have approximately 3 weeks. We are new travelers and we are not young. Is this a doable route? We are open to suggestions and changes ..Also looking for hotel or air bnb recommendations .thanks

Posted by
146 posts

This seems like a doable route. On the train you will go through Marseille between Nice and Avignon, so you might want to go all the way through to Nice from Bordeaux and then work your way back with shorter trips. Making a list of what you want to see in each place is useful for figuring out how long you want to stay. Sometimes you want to be in a certain place on market day or don't want to travel on a holiday or don't want a 1 night stay because it feels rushed. The forum can provide opinions if you end up with specific questions like deciding between a museum in Nice vs a museum in Lyon.

And if you see train routes with a short transfer time, they are planned that way and doable with decent mobility and ability to move your bags.

Posted by
41 posts

Yes, we have been thinking about going straight to nice and doubling back as you suggested. This trip is definitely a work in progress!

Posted by
5020 posts

Several years ago we stayed at Grand Hôtel Beauvau Marseille Vieux-Port. It's in a very central location, close to the waterfront, and, if I remember correctly, close to the train station. and was a good place to stay. The only reason I don't rave about it is because it was at the end of a very long trip, we were exhausted, only stayed there one night, and I don't remember much about it. By the same token, I don't remember anything bad about the place.