Please sign in to post.

Marseille

We are doing a Mediterranean cruise beginning May 12. We stop in Marseille ( and also La Spezia , Italy) and don’t know what to do with our days when we arrive to those poets. I will post the La Spezia to the Italy forum shortly. Does anyone have advice for Marseille as to what to see? We love to walk and learn history and culture. In the guide book for cruises I do t see much about those two places ! Thanks!

Posted by
8293 posts

Have you checked out the cruise line’s excursions for these two ports of call? Otherwise, google “Marseille Tourist Information port excursions” to see what is offered by guides on shore.

Posted by
776 posts

Marseille, founded by Greeks in 600 BC being the oldest city in France, and the second largest in France, has lots to offer for people who love to walk and learn history and culture. For a one day excursion it would be difficult to give you what to see advice since there is so much to pick from. Using your interests and your time schedule search the web and guidebooks. And don't forget to have a Bouillabaisse at the old port if the weather is nice.

Posted by
15602 posts

I followed (more-or-less) a "stroll through Le Panier" from the Michelin website, after a walk around the Vieux Port. Then back to Vieux Port for a bus up to the Basilica for great views. Lots of places for lunch around the Vieux Port.

Posted by
16894 posts

The Marseille section in the Med Cruise Ports 2016 edition is only about 10 pages, but I think it's a good summary of highlights that could keep you busy for a day. I like the North African market area because it reminds me of my time there. But here's a note about a change to the next edition: At the port of Marseille, the cruise-line shuttle or a taxi are the best options to get into town (the free shuttle bus is too time consuming and complicated—we no longer list it).

Posted by
6337 posts

kylaservet, the NY TImes Travel Section in Sunday April14's paper has a full page spread on things to do in Marseilles - it's their regular "36 Hours in...." feature. If you don't have access, your local library should have it.

Posted by
8293 posts

The church Notre Dame de-la-Regarde is high on the list of tour stops in Marseille but please know that there are 200 or more steps up to it, and it was too daunting for us! So we stayed on the bus, with the permission of the very robust lady driver, who then took us on an interesting drive around Marseille, returning in time to pick up the mountain climbers who had visited the church. I do love France.

Posted by
4 posts

Thank you all so much for your thoughtful replies !!
Grieving about Notre Dame.........