Please sign in to post.

Marseille

We plan to take a side trip to Marseille from Barcelona via train. Looking for recommendations on best things to do, places to stay and eat. We plan to spend about two days there. Thanks!

Posted by
27629 posts

Marseille is at least 5 hours from Barcelona by train. It sounds as if you will be returning to Barcelona after this side-trip. I think ten hours is an awful lot of time to spend on trains in exchange for about two days in Marseille. There are lots of interesting places much closer to Barcelona.

I'm puzzled about why you have decided to go all the way to Marseille, given that you are asking what you should do when you get there.

Posted by
3 posts

Thanks for your advice. We'll be spending a month in Barcelona and visiting a bunch of different places in the country and just thought it would be fun to go to France for a few days. Sounds like it may not be worth the time.

Posted by
27629 posts

There's lots of great stuff in southern France. I was just questioning the ratio of travel time to sightseeing time. In addition to the places already mentioned, there are the small towns of Collioure (coastal, more touristy) and Pezenas. And you might explore the possibility of taking the Yellow Train into the French Pyrenees, though I'm not sure you could make the timing work, starting from Barcelona. Perhaps if you spent Friday night in Perpignan.

Posted by
15768 posts

It's a short flight to Marseille or Nice. You might like 2-3 days to explore the French Riviera based in Nice or Antibes . . . depends a lot on which month.