Please sign in to post.

Marmottan Museum

Hello,
I am a big fan of Monet and would like to visit this museum but I can not tell how far it is from The Ills of St Louis. Some of what I have read about it gave me the impression it is quite far. Is this true? We are not sure how to get there and would it would be a day trip out of Paris? Any advice would be helpful ,merci beaucoup

Posted by
7036 posts

It's not that far, about 20-30 min on the metro (line 9) to the La Muette station and then a few blocks walk. It's in the 16th near the Bois de Boulogne, definitely not a day trip out of Paris. If you're a walker, it's about 2 miles from the Arc de Triomphe, and 1.5 miles from the Eiffel Tower. Very worth going to.

Posted by
2132 posts

Hi Gift, the Marmottan Museum is wonderful and a "don't miss" site for fans of Monet. We were there in Sep 2016. We took the metro to the museum then walked back to the Eiffel Tower. It was about a 30-45 min walk through nice neighborhoods. FYI, it's a private collection, not covered by the Paris Museum Pass.

Posted by
6302 posts

The Marmottan is wonderful, and well worth the extra time it takes to get there. It's been years since we went, but I believe we took the RER? there, and walked back. If you love Monet and the other impressionists, this is a great place to visit.

Posted by
9420 posts

I'm on Ile St Louis now, the fastest way to the Marmottan from here is a 10 min walk to the RER C station/stop at St Michel-Notre Dame, then a 15 min ride to the Boulainvilliers stop, get off the train and look for a sign for the rue Singer exit. When you exit the station, it's a 10 min walk to the Marmottan.
So, 35 min in total from here... Unless you keep stopping for photos like we do!

Posted by
6302 posts

Thanks, Susan; that's the way we went. A great day. Seems like once we got off the RER we walked through a lovely neighborhood park. Not at all like the bustle of central Paris.

Posted by
2602 posts

I followed Rick's directions in his Paris book and it was very easy to find--I had toured the Eiffel tower, then walked around Trocadero before getting on the metro there--once off the metro just a 10-15 minute walk through a charming neighborhood and park, and I had lunch at one of the cafes on the way back. It was one of my favorite museums, not just for the spectacular art but also for the setting inside a beautiful old house. I was there last May and also enjoyed the special exhibit, Art et L'Enfant, spent about 1.5 hours total.

Posted by
59 posts

Bonjour!! Thank you so much for all your replies! merci beaucoup. We will definitely go there it sounds wonderful!

Posted by
129 posts

Christa, I was also there last May and enjoyed the show you have referenced as well as an amazing display of old manuscripts - what fun to realize fellow forum readers share these experiences!
My feeling was that the display of work by Monet and contemporaries at Marmottan is breathtaking! After numerous visits to D'Orsay, the Orangerie and Giverney, must say this was a highlight. saying that though, if ever in Rouen, the gallery there has a most exquisite rendering by Monet of their cathedral. have seen a number of Monet's cathedral in Rouen but his "Grey" was just too moving for words. So glad it remained in Rouen ( an easy one hour train ride from paris). Thanks fellow contributors for your comments and suggestions, they certainly have added to my travel experiences!

Posted by
703 posts

As others have said, its a wonderful museum that is quite easy to get to via the Metro. Hope you enjoy your stay in Paris.

Posted by
2602 posts

Patricia--it's always by chance with the special exhibits, some really appeal and others not so much. Did you happen to see the special Rousseau at the D'Orsay? That more than made up for a wing or two being closed that I would have loved to see.

Posted by
734 posts

You will love the Marmottan! I'm not sure when you're going, but hopefully you'll be able to catch one of their great exhibitions. Right now it's a collection of Camille Pissarro paintings and in the fall it's an exhibit on Monet's own art collection of other great artists. Both sounds wonderful!

Posted by
129 posts

yes Christa, was able to see the Rousseau exhibit and appreciated becoming more aware of his work. isn't Paris/France amazing?!