Please sign in to post.

Malcom Miller tours

We will be in Chartres on April 17th. Is Malcom Miller still giving tours daily and what are the times? Thanks in advance for your help.

Posted by
2725 posts

And do it! A rare opportunity to tour a splendid cathedral with the worlds authority.

Posted by
3961 posts

We had the pleasure to take Malcolm Miller's tour of the Cathedral in 2013. We also loved the light show of the Cathedral's facade. Both were "wow" moments in Chartes.

Posted by
572 posts

Malcom Miller was not available when we were there but there is a podcast from "Join us in France" on Chartes that we found very helpful.

Posted by
4132 posts

He's not there every day, or may only do one lecture instead of two. it's best to email him a day or two in advance to find out his plans.

Posted by
408 posts

My wife and I were on a Costco run several months ago and we decided to swing by Chartres to see the cathedral. Mr. Miller wasn't there that day, but an assistant -- a 30-something American woman whose name I've forgotten -- was giving the tour. She was OK. A bit scattered and disorganized, but worth the time, in my view.

Posted by
755 posts

It sounds like the OP received some great advice on Malcolm Miller, so I'm going to venture sideways off topic to ask @Bob about the Costco run that brought him near Chartres...what am I missing by not going to the Costco outside of Paris? Département 71 is not nearby...details please, I'm ready to drive over there. :)

Posted by
408 posts

Barbara,

You're correct that we live a long way from Costco, so what we do when we have enough items to justify a Costco run is to put together a 2 or 3 day sightseeing trip to visit a place (or places) we haven't seen yet north of us that will bring us near or beyond Paris. On the day we're driving back home, we stop by Costco, pick up what we need, and continue on home.

It's very similar to American Costco stores (but with a larger cheese variety, of course), except there's no pharmacy, owing, I suppose, to the strong trade union pharmacists in France have. As you're probably aware, most health care items in France can only be bought at pharmacies even though they're commonly available in regular stores in the U.S.

Posted by
15768 posts

3 years ago I went to Chartres and missed Mr. Miller by a day. He had been on a two-week holiday, which I knew, but he didn't resume his tours until the day after I'd been.