Please sign in to post.

Lyon to Avignon

Hi,
We have a 2 week driving trip in France, with primary focus in Provence.
Would it be worthwhile to spend a day or two in Lyon then drive down to Avignon or spend the full 14 days exploring Provence?

Posted by
8447 posts

Lyon is a great two or three night town -- the Traboules are worth half a day; the food is excellent and local.

If I had a car I wouldn't base in Avignon -- there are so many more attractive cities and towns in the area.

Posted by
5792 posts

Lyon is definitely worth a visit.

What you might want to do is take the train from Lyon to Avignon TGV. The train takes about an hour. There are a number of car rental agencies at the Avignon TGV station so it would be easy to pick up a car there to explore Provence. I agree with Janet. If you have a car, there are many more interesting places in Provence to stay than Avignon.

note: corrected to Avignon TGV. Thanks Balso

Posted by
7268 posts

Most people find Lyon to be worthwhile. If you are landing in Paris, it is easy to get there on your first day (unless you have stops north of Lyon!).

Unless you already have the car before Lyon, I would also recommend taking the train down to Avignon TGV and renting a car there (Laura above meant Avignon TGV, not Lyon TGV). The drive from Lyon to Avignon is not interesting and often unpleasantly busy (nightmarish on May and summer weekends).

Posted by
1018 posts

Agree with the others. Lyon is perfect for a couple nights, really enjoyed it and wished I had another day there. Use the TGV between Paris/Lyon/Avignon and grab the car in Avignon. There’s no reason to stay in Avignon if you have a car. I would absolutely find a smaller, more authentic town to stay in (or near.) I don’t think Avignon is worth more than a brief stop overall.