Please sign in to post.

Lyon: seeking non-budget busting hotel for early November 2022 - No horror stories please!

I am in need of a hotel for a single night, 8 November 2022 ... my wife and I arrive in the city early in the AM and depart mid-day on the 9th.
We're looking for the Three Cs: cleanliness, convenience and comfort, without breaking the bank.

Any suggestions? I'm looking at the Hotel Royal ... but I'm not convinced it's the right one!

Posted by
11192 posts

Three Cs: cleanliness, convenience and comfort, without breaking the bank

Convenient to what?

Presumably the bank breaks at $150?

Posted by
3707 posts

I'm confused. Are you saying that if someone recommends a hotel and another reader had a horrible time there you do not want to hear it? The headline seems odd to me. Without knowing what you need to be convenient to, I suggest ibis Lyon Centre Perrache.

Posted by
2324 posts

A budget range would be helpful. What do you consider comfort: a/c, elevator, breakfast provided? Convenient to what: train station, airport, city center?

Posted by
15079 posts

I stayed at the Mercure Lyon Centre Beaux Arts Hotel last November.

Centrally located, comfortable and clean.

As for arriving early, the only way to guarantee you can check in right away is to reserve the room the night before. Otherwise you might have to wait to check in. But that's true of all hotels.

Posted by
4007 posts

Andy, for this to be useful, you need to give specifics like the most you want to spend per night and your definitions of both comfort and convenience.

Posted by
427 posts

One person's "budget busting" hotel is another's flea bag into which they wouldn't deign to set foot. Context helps.

That said if by "Hotel Royal" you mean Accor's l'Hôtel Le Royal Lyon MGallery near Place Bellecour, it would appear you're looking in the 150€ to 200€ range per night. Is that correct?

If so, alternatives you might consider are the smaller independent Hôtel des Artistes or Hôtel des Célestins. Both are quite good, very French in feel, and in the same area. We've stayed at both several times over the years while in Lyon for shopping, concerts, or medical procedures. I suspect either would be less expensive than the Accor hotel.