Please sign in to post.

Lyon or Dijon?

Hi travelers - my mom and I are planning for a 1 week stay somewhere in the middle to eastern part of France in September. We will be coming from Germany (via train) and wanted to see more of France (mid to small towns) and were not sure where to call home-base. We were thinking about Dijon or Lyon and the surrounding areas and wanted to get some advice on which might be better? We tend to like strolling through towns, taking in historic sites, being a part of the local culture - but generally are pretty low maintenance travelers - mostly just happy to take in the scene and learn new things. However, EVERY section of France seems lovely and we were not sure if folks might have opinions on where on that side of France to focus? We like wine and food and likely will plan some tours, perhaps try the canal rides as well? We were thinking of Dijon or Lyon as they might be really nice places to see traditional France - perhaps rent a car and take some day trips to small towns in the area. Any thoughts or suggestions? We have never been to anywhere outside of Paris in France so we are looking forward to being around more smaller-town life and perhaps very small town life in France - do you think it matters Dijon or Lyon as a home-base? We plan to fly back home via Paris - so we likely will take the train to Paris for one night before the flight - but other than that we are really hoping to enjoy the countryside and mid-sized city French life. Easy to rent a car in Dijon or Lyon? Is one town perhaps better for tourists (I heard some gossip that Lyon may be a tad sketchy safety-wise? - perhaps that is nonsense?). Anyone been to both cities and liked one better than the other for some reason? Thanks in advance for any suggestions/thoughts!

Posted by
277 posts

I've lived in Lyon for several years and have been to Dijon several times, so I'm pretty familiar with both cities (Lyon more so than Dijon).

Would I be correct to understand that you aren't looking for the city you choose to -- itself -- provide a substantial amount of your sightseeing attractions but rather the small to mid-sized towns within a reasonable traveling distance of it?

If that's the case, I think Dijon would be a better choice for you, though I personally prefer Lyon to Dijon. Lyon is a much larger metro area with much greater traffic. It's not oriented to tourists as, for example, Paris is. It's where a lot of companies that don't want to pay Paris rents have large concentrations of workers. That said, there is plenty to occupy a tourist's time in Lyon for several days to a week. But I sense that that's not what you're looking for.

It's true that there are interesting small towns within an easy drive from Lyon, such as Pérouges and Vienne.

But from Dijon, which has its own charms, one easily could visit a good number of very nice towns that seem to fit more what it is you're describing: Beaune, Flavigny sur Ozerain, Semur en Auxois, Paray le Monial, Cluny, Vézelay, and so on.

I believe among the participants in this forum is a resident of Dijon, so perhaps she could provide more detail for you.

Minor edit: while Lyon is a pretty large city (by French standards) and has its share of urban challenges that go with its size, it is generally safe-feeling and I don't think a tourist should expect to have to be concerned or take extraordinary precautions beyond what one might normally take in a large city. I personally never felt any concern and I've been out on the streets of Lyon at practically all hours of the day and night. There are places in Lyon, the Guillotière area springs to mind, when you climb up out of the Metro or get off the bus and it feels as if you've landed in North Africa rather than France. Some might find that challenging. I find it fascinating.
In fact, the only time I ever experienced anything other than normal safety in Lyon was at an ATM in the 6eme arrondisement around mid-day in broad daylight -- the wealthiest, generally calmest part of town. After having entered my PIN, a young man jumped in front of me and punched in a request to withdraw 900 euros. I think, perhaps, he didn't expect the gray-haired chap to have quite the strength that I showed him. I may have given him whiplash as hard as I yanked him out of the way. I got all 18 of the 50€ bills and all he got a browbeating from a French woman who rushed over after seeing what had happened. Never saw him again.

Posted by
3122 posts

I too would vote for Dijon, for the reasons given by the previous post. There is high-speed rail service between Dijon and Paris, if I'm not mistaken.

Posted by
2466 posts

Dijon is fairly compact, and you could just spend 2 days wandering around and enjoying the historical aspects of the city, as well as the wine and food.

Lyon has become a great big city - it's spread out all over the place. I'd plan to spend 4 days in Lyon, because you'll need it. Transportation options are very good in Lyon, though.

No trouble as far as "sketchy" behaviour in Lyon or Dijon, as long as you take normal precautions.

I would not advise renting a car unless you plan to drive from one city to the other, because parking is expensive and mostly prohibited in certain areas.

Posted by
10220 posts

Both are cities, not towns, and certainly not small towns, but they are good places to visit and good jumping off points to get out to nearby cities, towns, or villages. You could do four or five nights in Lyon and two or three in Dijon. Areas to visit from Lyon have more variety and include major Roman ruins in Vienne south of Lyon, one of my favorite places.

Around Dijon, you have the whole wine route and Beaune to visit.

Posted by
4132 posts

I have been to both. Lyon is a lot more fun, but you are looking for a base from which to explore the countryside with a car.

I say neither. For what you want to do I would go with a smaller town in Burgundy such as Beaune or Semur, someplace that is interesting and has good food but is easy to get in and out of. But for city life, Lyon is fabulous.

You can rent a car at almost any train station.

Posted by
120 posts

Bonjour Kayeyo, maybe you could split your stay between Lyon and Dijon, but as you're planning to stay in mid to small towns, Dijon is way smaller than Lyon and you can walk everywhere in the historic center. I think that videos from the TO will tell you more than I could write. It is also a very good base to explore the region by car, train or bus. Have fun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5CojSGoJ4k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AhaK1TFbS8&t=9s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zih7Xss12XE