Please sign in to post.

Lunch in Lyon?

On April 10th I’m traveling from Paris to Arles by train. Since I’ll have a Eurail pass it will be a travel day so I thought I might break the journey up by stopping in Lyons for lunch. I’d prefer to not get too far from the station. ideas for a restaurant or a ‘must see’ visit close by?

Posted by
272 posts

First, it's Lyon. Not "Lyons," despite what the British may think. Same for Marseille. It's not Marseilles.

Second, at which train station will you find yourself, and for how long will you be there? There are many train stations in Lyon,

Posted by
338 posts

I assume you're traveling by TGV, which means you'll arrive at the Gare Lyon Part Dieu. Bergamote is a Michelin Bib Gourmande restaurant that is within walking distance. It's open Tuesday through Friday for lunch. Might think about getting a reservation. Danton is another nearby place that gets good reviews.

It's pretty hard to get a bad meal in Lyon, honestly.

Posted by
8065 posts

Les Halles Paul Bocuse is near the Part Dieu station and in addition to market foodstuffs, it has many bars and restaurants. - we had a planche for lunch with regional cheeses and charcuterie, but there were soup places and lots of oyster bars and several restaurants.

Posted by
6913 posts

Just a note: with Eurail, you still need reservations for TGV, so you will need reservations for both the Paris-Lyon and the Lyon-Arles legs if you intend to take the TGV from Lyon to Arles (there's a daily direct option, or you can change trains in Avignon). You cannot "break a journey" on a single reservation.
Else, just take a TER from Lyon, no reservation needed for those.