Please sign in to post.

Lunch in avignon after tgv from Paris

My husband and I will be taking the tgv from Paris to Avignon. Planning on renting a car at the tgv station and driving to bonniuex. We were planning on getting lunch in Avignon after we rented the car but realized after reading several posts on here that the tgv is outside of the old town. How much of a hassle would it be to drive into old town with the car? Didn't know if it would just be easier to stop somewhere on the way to bonniex since tgv is outside of town. Thanks for any advice.

Posted by
7278 posts

Hi Sarah, if you head into old town area, find a parking spot on Cours Jean Jaures/Rue de la Republique to have lunch in the Place de l'Horloge. The bus to transfer from the TGV to the Gare d'Avignon station was quick, so you shouldn't have a problem driving in that area.

Posted by
4044 posts

The tourist restaurants in the Place d'Horlogue itself aren't worth the hassle of parking in the very constricted spaces available in or around the walled city. There are better dining choices in adjacent streets. If you must lunch in town, I suggest taking the shuttle from the TGV station (which I understand is now by rail rather than bus) and then return to TGV for your car rental.

Posted by
10188 posts

Sarah, You don't say what time you are getting to the TGV station to rent your car. Restaurant kitchens start to close around 2:00, and they aren't happy about seating you late, so you need to take that into consideration. If you just want to eat, I'd eat on the way to Bonniuex. If you want to visit the city, I'd still eat outside and then go to Avignon for a calm visit before driving to Bonniuex.

Posted by
16893 posts

If you're planning to visit Avignon, I would leave your car parked (after picking up keys) and taking the shuttle train into town. If not, then I would consider shopping for some picnic supplies in Paris, carrying them on the train, then driving to a scenic stop.