Please sign in to post.

Louvre re-entry?

Can you re-enter the Louvre later the same day on a single timed entry digital ticket?

EDIT: Note that you must enter the name of each visitor in order to buy tickets, which means that experiences with different ticket types may no longer be applicable.

EDIT 2: Based on exchanges with the Louvre's Facebook account, you cannot re-enter the museum but can re-enter each wing. See my posts later in this thread.

Posted by
8075 posts

This used to be permitted but that changed a couple of years ago when it was abused by tour groups from that country that shall not be named. Leaders were collecting tickets from their morning tour and then taking later groups through on the same ticket -- so now it is one entry. I am not sure how they enforce this given the layout of the museum but I assume the ticket will work once at each wing entry point.

If anyone has visited lately we could all use an update. (the Louvre policy changed at the same time the Museum Pass stopped allowing multiple entries.

Posted by
10216 posts

Actually the report I saw on French news had the group organizers reusing the same tickets over and over all day long for multiple groups. Unfortunately, now it’s one entry only due to the abuse.

Posted by
14003 posts

"but I assume the ticket will work once at each wing entry point."

Yes, this is how it works in my experience. I was behind someone who'd come thru that particular wing entry before and was not allowed in but was directed to another entrance. This was Oct 2019 so things may have changed.

For the OP, there are 3 wings off the main entrance area under the pyramid and thus 3 separate entry points. You can get from wing to wing without having to go back thru an entry although it may be a longer walk.

Posted by
115 posts

Tickets now require entering the name of each person, which should cut down on the prior problem of tour groups reusing Paris Museum Passes and individual tickets.

Has anyone who has the new digital tickets been able to re-enter the museum or re-enter a wing on the same day?

Posted by
115 posts

I asked the Louvre through their Facebook account about re-entry . You cannot re-enter the museum on a normal ticket, but you can if you are a member (Amis du Louvre), as members can enter as often as they wish without timed reservations.

They said you can re-enter wings, but I don't know if this is just members or if normal tickets can re-enter wings by crossing the Pyramid floor. I'll follow up if they clarify.

Posted by
8075 posts

the no re-entry policy is really aggravating as it would have been easy to pre-empt the abuses of tour groups by confiscating tickets at entry or having just one pass for the group, color coding them or whatever. There are lots of obvious ways to make sure abuse doesn't occur. The people hurt by the policy are art lovers who would want to spend many hours in the museum but take a break to go out for lunch or whatever. The number of people doing this is fairly insignificant but it makes a big difference to those art lovers.

Posted by
115 posts

I asked about re-entering wings by crossing the Pyramid floor: "Everybody can enter each wing more than once in a day, not only the Amis du Louvre."

We visiting the Louvre four days during our 2018 trip, which was great. This was when the museum card could be used for multiple entries. We stayed around two to three hours each visit. If we buy individual tickets, we might feel we should do just one all day visit, so we might end up becoming members just to get over the psychology of ticket purchases.

Posted by
531 posts

Can you purchase membership online from the US or does it need to be purchased in Paris?

Posted by
10216 posts

You can purchase online from the US. If your card doesn't arrive before you leave, the Amis du Louvre office is under the Pyramid and they will give you a duplicate.

Posted by
115 posts

Bets, how would you get into the Pyramid to get to the office if you don't have a ticket?

Years ago we went to the office to get a Paris Museum Pass and there was a massive queue. Any idea if that's likely these days?

Last year our cards came shortly before covid shut everything down so we didn't get to use them.

Posted by
10216 posts

I haven't been up to Paris since March 2020, so I don't know about lines, but people have reported they are short.
Good question. To get in, you make a ticket-less reservation on line, as if you had your membership card in hand. That will get you into the Pyramid to collect the card if you don't have it in hand. This is what people have to do with the Paris Museum Pass, and what we did during the DaVinci to see the exhibit.