Please sign in to post.

Louvre

Hello!
We are planning to tour the Louvre on Monday, August 28th and want your opinion on what time of the day to visit. I read that the
evenings take on a different atomosphere, as stature are illuminated, etc. However, I also read that it is less crowded early in the morning. Also, should we take a tour with a Louvre guide or use Rick Steeve's audio tour? Thanks for your advice!

Posted by
10196 posts

The sun won't set before the Louvre closes on a Monday in August, so you are better off getting there in the morning. I like the Louvre guides, but I have trouble following a recorded audio. Other people may have trouble with a guide's accent but prefer the audio.

Posted by
13946 posts

I vote for morning as well. Go as early as you can get your group moving (and it's a big group, right?). I am NOT very heat tolerant. To me the Louvre galleries, especially the ones with lots of people in them, get very hot. There may be some wimpy AC but the air doesn't circulate and it can be uncomfortable to me. You may do better with heat than I do but I'd opt for as early as possible to catch the cool of the AM.

How many of you think you'd want to do the tour? You have children along too, right? Will they be going to the museum? You might consider a Paris Walks private tour who can tailor an itinerary to the group's interests.

Posted by
122 posts

We were there yesterday for the late Friday night hours. So hot and crowded right till the end. (Also, the Mona Lisa is now a queue that ends in a free for all. Not sure what prompted that change but it was a disaster - just so you have a heads up.) I’d aim for early as others suggest.