Please sign in to post.

Lost cabin luggage in flight AF27 while deplaning at CDG on 8th June 2022

We started from Washington, DC to CDG, Paris in AF 27 on the 7th June 2022 and landed at CDG on the 8th June 2022.
While getting down the flight, a co-passenger took my cabin luggage, likely in error (mix-up) because I found a similar looking unclaimed one close by. I brought this to the attention of the crew who checked the tag, made a note and told me that they would exchange the luggage and send mine in the next flight to Mumbai (However, Mumbai folks had no clue about the cabin luggage piece).
In a hurry to catch my next flight, I did not note down the other passenger’s details and was expecting the crew to do the follow up. Assuming the crew could not catch hold of that passenger and, until today, the other passenger did not contact me (my luggage also has my contact details)- should I presume, that my luggage was ‘stolen’? Alternately, that passenger might have left my luggage with the crew who transferred it to ‘lost & found’. The luggage was a pull man with a back-pack that contains 17.4 in HP laptop, a graphing calculator and several chargers.
I reported ‘lost luggage’ at France Objets Trouves as 2 separate items;
1. Luggage- Listing # P-G400947
2. Laptop- Listing # P-G412859
I also created a claim on Air France site- Claim reference C-5101097
My only recourse seems to be contacting the crew on AF flight and check if they could follow up with their notes.
Apart from this, what else can I do about this missing cabin luggage?

Update: On my return journey from India, at CDG airport, on the 1st of August, during the lay over period, I stepped out of the terminal, contacted the AF baggage services and showed them the listing number but they couldn’t track this and provide no news but directed me to check at Le Kube, Objets trouves au Mesnil-Amelot where the lost & found luggage will be kept. However, by then, I lost any hope and did not pursue further as I needed to take a cab to that place and may miss my next fight back to IAD.
Also, the Objets Trouves office in the airport was closed.
The laptop has some important info and I beg the passenger whoever took it to kindly ship the laptop and I would happily pay the shipment costs.
From the airline, can I get any reimbursement for the laptop ($400 USD) + graphing calculator ($120 USD) and the new pull-man ($75 USD)?

Posted by
2195 posts

Have you posted this in the FlyerTalk Air France forum? You might get some additional help there.

Posted by
616 posts

Very sorry that this happened to you. It seems unlikely that the airline has any responsibility for reimbursement in this situation unless the individual who took your property returned it to the airline and if the airline accepted custody and failed to return it to you. One could hope for a goodwill gesture but even that may be a stretch.

Posted by
11199 posts

I think it unlikely the airline is obligated to make any payment for your 'lost' cabin bag. Unlike checked bags, they never took possession of it in the course and scope of business.

Truly unfortunate this happened, but serves as a teaching moment for others to put your cabin bag in the bin at your seat. ( or at least in easy sight so once the lids are opened you can see it and not let an inattentive, or malevolent, person walk off with your bag)

Posted by
3129 posts

I’m sorry this has happened to you.
I try to get a space in the bins opposite my aisle seat, not above; then I can see my stuff every time someone opens it, especially after landing.

Posted by
317 posts

Yikes! What an awful experience for you. I’ve wondered about what if someone grabbed my bag instead of theirs.

A couple of days ago I ordered pacsafe locks to lock our bags together or lock each of our bags to a post or something so someone can’t readily steal it. This is like a bike lock or ski lock, slide the cord through a handle and secure it to something like a table leg or shelf.

After reading your post I’m glad I got these.

Posted by
4127 posts

On a flight in May there was a passenger a few seats in front of mine who could not figure out which suitcase was hers in the overhead. She'd apparently stored it a few seats behind her. While we were getting ready to deplane and everyone was already standing in the aisles she asked for someone to grab her bag. She'd point to one and someone would pull it out and then she said that wasn't hers. This went on several times when somebody finally suggested she should sit and wait until she could could move back and figure it out herself. I suspect alcohol may have been a factor in her confusion, but I can also imagine she could have easily grabbed the first bag she saw and left before someone noticed.

It was a good reminder of why I have a bright green suitcase and my wife's is purple. It's easy to tell ours apart from the sea of black bags.

Posted by
8079 posts

No you NEVER lock your stuff to posts or rails; all that does is block other people in which is especially dangerous on quick train stops. Figure out how to manage valuables without being a menace to everyone else. On planes, it is smart to put stuff only above your own seat where you can keep an eye on it when landing or under the seat ahead. We had someone grab the wrong bag once but luckily caught it before he got away with it.

Posted by
3713 posts

Unfortunately, one cannot be guaranteed to have access to the compartment above one’s seat on flights with the giant pieces of carryon luggage and laptop bags that many people have on flights. Quite recently, I was in Group 1 in business class on a United flight. I was probably the 10th person on the plane and business class had about 10 seats and every luggage compartment was taken. The flight attendant put my carry on luggage two rows back in economy which meant my luggage was not in my line of sight and whoever had the seat below my luggage probably could not see their bag.

Posted by
8079 posts

FAs should not allow economy passengers to be putting bags in business class overheads -- there is usually plenty of space in business for business passengers, but yeah -- bummer to have it go behind you. Presumably they have to walk past you with your bag if stealing it though, so make sure your bag is instantly visible with a colored ribbon or whatever.

Posted by
1810 posts

OP. I’m sorry that passenger took your bag. I hope you get adequate compensation for your stuff.

I guess I’m going to have to throw an Apple tag in my carry on now. May or may not help in such a situation but it’s something. I’ve been fortunate that the bulk of my checked and carry on bags are not black and not the ubiquitous 22” roller bag. Hopefully that makes it less susceptible to inadvertent mistakes such as this.

Posted by
9422 posts

Janet, JHK was in Business Class, not economy. It was the FA who put JHK’s bags in an Economy overhead bin. Not the other way around as you wrote.

Posted by
616 posts

@Mo R

You are wise to plan to use locks in the way you’ve described. A lot of peace of mind comes with the different ways and opportunities you’ll encounter. I have been using them for years (PacSafe products and an extension lock) to secure valuables safely and unobtrusively.

Posted by
10219 posts

Locks on a personal item is not the same as locking a suitcase to a luggage rack which could block other people from being able to get their own luggage easily. It really depends on the situation and set up.

Posted by
317 posts

Thx Raymonelee for the validation of my pacsafe purchase. I’ve used their hand bag every trip and it really does provide peace of mind. I really am glad I purchased the locks. I feel a lot better knowing I can secure our packs if we need to sit them down whether on a plane, train, restaurant, where ever. Even in a hotel room. They are really going to be handy! Anything to be a deterrent and not an easy mark.