Please sign in to post.

Looking at a Loire to the South of France trip in 2016 easiest way from CDG to Chartres

Looking at Loire to the South of France trip in 2016. Been to Paris plenty so we want to get to Chartres 2 days early. What's the easiest way to get from CDG to Chartres? Thanks for the help.
Mimi

Posted by
3685 posts

Depending on where you are flying in from (jet lag issues?) or if you plan to have a car in the Loire Valley (which I think is a good idea), easiest would be picking up a rental car and driving to Chartres. Next easiest, IMO is the Air France Bus (lescarsairfrance.com) or taxi (depending on the number of people that make up "we") to Gare Montparnasse and taking the train from there.

Posted by
891 posts

JHK, Thanks for the reply. I should have given more details. We ( hubby and I) are taking a RS Loire to the South of France trip so won't need a car.
I think the Air France bus sounds perfect. We fly out of Denver, don't have the flight arrangements yet, going next Oct. so I'm not sure where our connection flight into Paris will be from.

This is our 6th RS tour and when we finish this one, we fly directly to Rome for a week there. Have been there a couple of times and feel really at home in Rome. I'm ready to start counting the days and practicing my French and Italian!

Thanks for the help, I may have more questions later,
Mimi

Posted by
1335 posts

Chartres is ALWAYS my first stop when I arrive.

I always take les Cars Air France shuttle to Montparnasse, as mentioned above. Is it exhausting with jetlag? Hell yes. But you get there with little to no problem.

Posted by
891 posts

Alexander,

I was hoping that I could just catch a train from CDG to Chartres, even if I had to make a train change. Is this not possible?
Thanks,
Mimi

Posted by
1335 posts

The shuttle is SUPER easy to catch at the airport. It's really the easiest way. Don't take the RER.

Posted by
891 posts

Thank you all for your help, I really appreciate it.
Mimi

Posted by
260 posts

You can book the airfrance bus online. We took this tour in Sept. And flew in from Vienna. Very easy to find bus at CDG and pretty easy to buy ticket and find train at Montparnasse. They run pretty often

Posted by
1335 posts

Laura is right. It's easier to book in advance. That way you don't have to worry about having to purchase them on site (avoiding going to an ATM)

Posted by
891 posts

thank you both for your help. How much time did you give it between flight supposed to land and booking the bus?

Posted by
3685 posts

Tickets are not linked to a particular bus leaving at a specified time. Theoretically, there could be more ticket holders than seats, but that is unlikely. If you have checked luggage and fly in economy, plan on about 75 to90 minutes from landing to being outside looking for the bus and 4 to 4.5 hours between arrival time of your flight and departure time from Gare Montparnasse.

Posted by
891 posts

I think this transfer is going to be easier than I first thought it would be. Thanks to all again.