Please sign in to post.

Loire Valley

We are planning a trip to France next spring. How many days would you devote to the Loire Valley?

Posted by
782 posts

I will be in the Loire Valley in September and stay five nights,you can do about two Chateau a day,there are also towns and Cathedrals and wineries to visit.
Mike

Posted by
6522 posts

David has it about right. We spent a week there a few years ago, based in St-Aignan, and it was perhaps a little too long. A couple of chateaux a day for a few days and we were kind of chateaux'ed out, though there were many more to see. We spent most of that time east of Tours. RS suggests dividing your Loire time between a base east of Tours and a base west (he gives short shrift to Tours though that's a worthwhile city imho).

But besides the chateaux there are wineries, caves, beautiful countryside, Tours, and the world-class zoo near St-Aignan (where we spent an enjoyable day of chateau withdrawal). You could easily fill a week in the area if your timetable allows.

Posted by
47 posts

Thank you so much, I think I will add a few days to that area after reading your posts!

Posted by
2026 posts

We spent five days a few years ago. After 9 trips to Europe I still rank that as the best five days, anywhere. I understand getting chateaux'd out, but it wasn't the case for us. The wonderful Auberge de Launay across from Amboise made the trip easy and memorable. We chose a different drive each day, east, then west, etc and never tired of the villages, chateaux and just driving along the river and through the region. We return to France this August for about 3 weeks and my biggest regret is that we cannot squeeze in a return to this region and this hotel. I found the Auberge de Launay on tripadvisor. Back then, we took the breakfast/ dinner plan and it was fantastic, and a great value for the money. Have a wonderful trip.

Posted by
16893 posts

It's usually a matter of balance, assuming that you have limited time and other destinations that are equally tempting.