Please sign in to post.

Loire Valley

I will be in Paris September 2-September 18, 2022. Is there a recommendation for a tour to the Loire Valley from Paris for a day trip?
Thank you in advance.

Posted by
2707 posts

What exactly are you asking? This is two weeks away. You have no plans?

Posted by
2707 posts

My only experience is with the RS tour and those are all booked. Independent travelers use a combination of trains and driving. Hopefully someone will chime in and help you.

Posted by
5581 posts

You could look in the Rick Steves guide and see if there are recommendations for guides for Loire. You could also get a sense from the guidebook of what you'd like to see in Loire. Loire is a fairly large region.

I have traveled Loire Valley independently a few times. We did some wine tasting and have toured a lot of the chateaus. I have a couple ideas for you. You could take the train to Amboise and visit Clos Luce, which is daVinci's chateau and Chateau d'Amboise. You could do that independently. The town of Amboise is attractive for walking about. I'm not sure the train runs to Amboise every day of the week. When we were there about 7 years ago, it did not run on Sundays.

You could search Loire chateau to determine which chateaus you'd like to see. Some favorites are Chenonceau, Chambord and Villandry. Chenonceau and Villandry have beautiful gardens. There is a high speed train from Paris to Tours. I know there are a fair number of tours that leave from Tours. I can't recommend any specific tours.

Posted by
6501 posts

Google found this list of Loire Valley day tours from Paris. Viator is a portal to various companies that actually do the tours, you'll probably save money by booking direct with the operator if you can. But the link can get you started with shopping.

I can't recommend any such tour because I've never done one. I think a day tour to the Loire would be too rushed, with too much time enroute and not enough in the area. The Loire is worth several days at least, and best experienced with a car. You could get to the Loire by train and rent there. Or, if you don't want to drive, look for guided day trips that go from Tours and do a couple of them. Your overall trip seems long enough to allow this without shortchanging Paris, but you may have a lot else planned. Hope it works out for you.

Posted by
22 posts

In late April 2022 I took a 7:30 am train from Gare Montparnasse to Tours. From there, I took a tour of four chateaux with Touraine Evasion (011 33 607 39 13 31) from 9:30-5:30, then back on a train to Paris by 7 pm.
Touraine Evasion also had half-day morning tours, and tours from Amboise.

In 2018, we took a Paris City Vision bus tour from Paris to Vaux le Vicomte and Fountainebleau. It was very convenient, but there wasn’t a tour guide as expected. But, much easier than doing it on our own.

Posted by
757 posts

You will save a lot of travelling time catching the train from Paris Montparnasse to Tours or from Paris Austerlitz to Amboise as opposed to getting a bus tour from Paris. There are tours at all price points starting in the Loire Valley, some are all inclusive, some leave you to buy your own entry tickets and lunch