Please sign in to post.

Loire Valley

We had planned to stay in an apartment in Amboise with another couple for 7 days but they've had to cancel. We now don't plan on renting a car but will use train and taxis to get around to the various chateau & other sights in the valley. Without a car and having to take the Tours-Amboise shuttle several times if we stay in Amboise, I'm thinking we're better off staying first in Tours for 4 days to visit there, Amboise, Chateau Vallandry & Chateau Azay-le-Rideau. Then moving on to Blois for another 3 to see the sights there. Not having done any travel in France, and then only Paris in 50+ years ago, I would appreciate your comments.
Cheers

Posted by
2546 posts

Without a car, I would definitely stay in Tours, specifically in the general area between Place Plumereau (Old Tours), the cathedral, and the train station, Tours Centre. Other areas of Tours are not usually interesting to tourists. The Office de Tourism sponsors a number of minivan tours to local points of interest. Do not be afraid of contacting them. They speak English:

https://www.tours-tourisme.fr/en/

Amboise is no longer the sleepy little town it once was. It has plenty of hotels and restaurants, but Tours is the transportation hub of the region and more central to the châteaux many visitors come to see.

3 days in Blois would be a lot for me, but there are any options.

7 days is longer than many stay in this area. Without knowing a lot more about your travel objectives, and when you are visiting, you could stay in Amboise, but it would be difficult to offer more meaningful suggestions without more information.

Posted by
13 posts

Thank you for your help. We've decided to stay in Tours and then move on to Blois. We're octogenarians and find we get more enjoyment by taking it easy. We love the old architecture and will enjoy the châteaus & cathedrals but also just lazing around a park side cafe with a glasse or two of wine.

Cheers

Posted by
320 posts

Herbie,
It is longer than most people stay in this area but you will have time to see a bonus sight we discovered-most chateaus have an interesting town next door that is much less touristy than you think it would be! We had a delightful lunch in a cafe in Azay le Rideau with a bunch of locals. So you'll get to see the tourist sight AND an insight into real life. Don't miss the Close du Lu in Amboise; we enjoyed it more than we thought we would. And go early to Chenonceau; Rick's not joking about the crowds!

Posted by
9420 posts

It’s Clos Lucé, the house in Amboise where Leonardo da Vinci lived and died. It’s wonderful. But i love all the chateaux, never get tired of them, lol.

https://vinci-closluce.com/en

Posted by
874 posts

LOVE the Loire valley……we have been twice and stayed in Amboise both times. We love it’s Main Street and the side street where you can eat outside and watch the crowds go by. Chenonceau was our absolute favorite but all of the chateaus are incredible. Take a hot air balloon flight from there…..delightful!

Posted by
10228 posts

We stayed for 4 nights in Tours last October and even with a car we felt it was a good choice. We stayed in the old town, which I recommend. We walked everywhere in Tours, but there is public transportation as well.